emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* feature request: org-table-import without temp files
@ 2007-04-27 18:28 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2007-04-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* feature request: org-table-import without temp files
@ 2007-04-29  1:51 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2007-04-29  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Lately, I've been creating a lot of tables from text from text files
containing a mix of English text and columnar data (the stuff I'm
importing).  This is pretty easy to do in org-mode:  save the columnar
data to a temporary file and then run M-x org-table-import.  But it
would be even easier if I could import the data without the temp file step.

One way to do this could be to add a new function,
org-table-import-from-kill-ring:

   1. In the original text file, copy the tabular part into the kill
      ring with C-w or equivalent
   2. In the org file, with the cursor at the place for the new table,
      type M-x org-table-import-from-kill-ring

Another way could be to add a new function, org-table-import-to-kill-ring

   1. In the original text file, select the tabular data and type M-x
      org-table-import-to-kill-ring
   2. In the org file, put the cursor where you want the table and type C-y

Or, maybe there are more clever ideas?

Scott

* Re: feature request: org-table-import without temp files
@ 2007-05-01 10:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-01 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 27, 2007, at 20:28, Scott Otterson wrote:

>  Lately, I've been creating a lot of tables from text from text files
> containing a mix of English text and columnar data (the stuff I'm
> importing).  This is pretty easy to do in org-mode:  save the columnar
> data to a temporary file and then run M-x org-table-import.  But it
> would be even easier if I could import the data without the temp file
> step.
>
>  One way to do this could be to add a new function,
> org-table-import-from-kill-ring:
> 	1 	In the original text file, copy the tabular part into the kill
> ring with C-w or equivalent
> 	2 	In the org file, with the cursor at the place for the new table,
> type M-x org-table-import-from-kill-ring

     2   In the org-file, with the cursor at the place for a new table,
         type

         C-y           to yank the data
         C-x C-x       to activate the yank as the region
         C-c |         to convert the region to a table.

I guess this is easy enough?

- Carsten