emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* table alignment with org-pretty-entities turned on
@ 2016-08-28 19:37 jsj
       [not found] ` <24054f3d55784e3b905a958604b45a33@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: jsj @ 2016-08-28 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using the latest org-plus-contrib package (20160822) with emacs 25.1.50.

I turned org-pretty-entities on in my init.el. When there are prettified letters displayed in an org table, the alignment of the table seems to be messed up.  The deviation is related to the number of prettified symbols.

For example,

| a      | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
| \alpha |   |   |

is displayed as

| a  | b | c |
|----+---+---|
| α |   |   |

while

| a            | b | c |
|--------------+---+---|
| \alpha \beta |   |   |

is prettified as

| a     | b | c |
|-------+---+---|
| α β |   |   |

I am wondering whether I miss anything. It would be great to have aligned tables with prettified symbols.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jiang

* Re: table alignment with org-pretty-entities turned on
@ 2016-08-30 18:12 ` jsj
       [not found] ` <24054f3d55784e3b905a958604b45a33@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: jsj @ 2016-08-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

To make it clear, the behavior I reported can be reproduced with a clean init file with just org loaded.

I put the table

| a      | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
| \alpha |   |   |

in an org file, toggle pretty entities by C-c C-x \, then C-c C-c to realign the table. The result I get is

| a  | b | c |
|----+---+---|
| α |   |   |

If I try the same thing for

| a            | b | c |
|--------------+---+---|
| \alpha \beta |   |   |

I get

| a     | b | c |
|-------+---+---|
| α β |   |   |

Is it just me or you can reproduce the same behavior?

Regards,
Jiang

@ 2016-08-31  8:25   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-08-31  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsj; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday, 30 Aug 2016 at 18:12, jsj wrote:

[...]

> | a     | b | c |
> |-------+---+---|
> | α β |   |   |
>
> Is it just me or you can reproduce the same behavior?

I have seen the same at times.  Not always so it may be font
related.  Not sure.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

* Re: table alignment with org-pretty-entities turned on
@ 2016-08-31 14:44     ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-08-31 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2016-08-31 04:25, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 Aug 2016 at 18:12, jsj wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> | a     | b | c |
>> |-------+---+---|
>> | α β |   |   |
>>
>> Is it just me or you can reproduce the same behavior?
>
> I have seen the same at times.  Not always so it may be font
> related.  Not sure.

I'm not sure I understand the problem description. Turning on prettification does breaks table alignment; thus,

| a      | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
| \alpha |   |   |

is always displayed as

| a      | b | c |
|--------+---+---|
| α |   |   |

I can indeed reproduce this; one way to prevent it from happening would be to prettify "\alpha" as "α     ".

On the other hand, realigning the table (by pressing tab in a cell) produces the expected alignment:

| a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| α |   |   |

which in turn looks wrong when prettification is disabled:

| a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| \alpha |   |   |

Does this match your experience? If so, I don't think it's a bug, as much as a limitation of prettification.

Clément.

* Re: table alignment with org-pretty-entities turned on
@ 2016-08-31 17:14       ` jsj
From: jsj @ 2016-08-31 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 2016年8月31日, at 07:44, Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure I understand the problem description. Turning on prettification does breaks table alignment; thus,
>
> | a      | b | c |
> |--------+---+---|
> | \alpha |   |   |
>
> is always displayed as
>
> | a      | b | c |
> |--------+---+---|
> | α |   |   |
>
> I can indeed reproduce this; one way to prevent it from happening would be to prettify "\alpha" as "α     “.

This is the same as my experience, and it makes sense because turning on prettification does not take care of the alignment. The problem I have is exactly related to what you described below, i.e. the table alignment after a realignment.

> On the other hand, realigning the table (by pressing tab in a cell) produces the expected alignment:
>
> | a | b | c |
> |---+---+---|
> | α |   |   |

I have a different experience for this.
In my case, after a realignment (by pressing TAB or C-c C-c), I got

| a  | b | c |
|----+---+---|
| α |   |   |

instead of

| a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| α |   |   |

It looks like that a greek letter is considered to be a double-wide symbol but displayed as a single-wide one.

> which in turn looks wrong when prettification is disabled:
>
> | a | b | c |
> |---+---+---|
> | \alpha |   |   |
>
> Does this match your experience? If so, I don't think it's a bug, as much as a limitation of prettification.
>
> Clément.

This is surprising as I can reproduce the issue with a clean init file.
Btw, I am using org-plus-contrib package (20160822) with emacs 25.1.50 on a mac (10.11.6).

@ 2016-08-31 21:34     ` jsj
From: jsj @ 2016-08-31 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I have some updates about this issue.

I can confirm that it is not related to the prettification. I tried to directly put in unicode symbols instead of the ones generated by prettification, and I got exactly the same issue.

So I guess this has something to do with how the system is handling the non-latin symbols.
It looks like these greek letters are displayed to be single-width symbols but counted as double-wide ones. Btw, I am using a fixed-width font, and the greek letters does not cause alignment issues outside tables.

Jiang

@ 2016-09-06  6:06   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-09-06  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsj; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

jsj <jsj.register@gmail.com> writes:

> To make it clear, the behavior I reported can be reproduced with a clean init file with just org loaded.
>
> I put the table
>
> | a      | b | c |
> |--------+---+---|
> | \alpha |   |   |
>
> in an org file, toggle pretty entities by C-c C-x \, then C-c C-c to realign the table. The result I get is
>
> | a  | b | c |
> |----+---+---|
> | α |   |   |
>

> If I try the same thing for
>
> | a            | b | c |
> |--------------+---+---|
> | \alpha \beta |   |   |
>
> I get
>
> | a     | b | c |
> |-------+---+---|
> | α β |   |   |
>
> Is it just me or you can reproduce the same behavior?

I cannot reproduce it.

However, I fixed an alignment bug in tables recently. Does updating Org
solve your issue?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: table alignment with org-pretty-entities turned on
@ 2016-09-07  2:36     ` s j
From: s j @ 2016-09-07  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org