emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Compilation errors with 4.73 (undefined functions, wrong number of parameters)
@ 2007-05-11 14:18 Holger Arnold
From: Holger Arnold @ 2007-05-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

when I try to byte-compile org-mode (e.g. by doing make), I get a number of
error messages about undefined functions and wrong number of parameters (I
have attached the output of a make).  When I then do M-x org-mode, I
get "Symbol's function definition is void: find-if".

Without byte-compiling, org-mode seems to work at first sight, but I don't
know if some functions are deactivated or not broken.

I'm using org-mode 4.73 on GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on openSUSE 10.2.  I didn't have
these problems with version 4.69 of org-mode.

Does anyone know what's wrong here?

Holger

[-- Attachment #2: make-output --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 6933 bytes --]

holger@beaver:~/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73> make
emacs -batch -q -f batch-byte-compile org.el
While compiling org-tree-to-indirect-buffer in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** outline-up-heading called with 2 arguments, but accepts only 1
While compiling org-complete in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** display-completion-list called with 2 arguments, but accepts only 1
While compiling org-agenda-mode in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** reference to free variable buffer-substring-filters
While compiling org-up-heading-all in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** outline-up-heading called with 2 arguments, but accepts only 1
While compiling org-isearch-end in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** reference to free variable isearch-mode-end-hook-quit
While compiling the end of the data in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.el:
  ** The following functions might not be defined at runtime: find-if,
    rmail-show-message, calendar-forward-day, calendar-goto-date,
    calendar-goto-today, calendar-iso-date-string,
    calendar-julian-date-string, calendar-astro-date-string,
    calendar-hebrew-date-string, calendar-islamic-date-string,
    calendar-french-date-string, calendar-mayan-date-string,
    calendar-coptic-date-string, calendar-ethiopic-date-string,
    calendar-persian-date-string, calendar-chinese-date-string,
    Info-goto-node
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: defvaralias,
    make-extent, delete-extent, detach-extent, set-extent-endpoints,
    set-extent-property, make-glyph, set-glyph-face, extent-property,
    extents-at, extent-list, extent-start-position,
    extent-end-position, add-local-hook, region-active-p,
    table--at-cell-p, table-recognize-table,
    table-unrecognize-region, calc-eval, constants-get, pp-buffer,
    bbdb-record-name, bbdb-current-record, bbdb-record-company,
    vm-summarize, vm-follow-summary-cursor, vm-select-folder-buffer,
    vm-su-subject, vm-get-header-contents, vm-su-message-id,
    wl-summary-message-number, elmo-message-field,
    elmo-message-entity, elmo-msgdb-overview-get-entity,
    wl-summary-buffer-msgdb, wl-summary-line-from,
    elmo-message-entity-field, wl-summary-line-subject,
    rmail-narrow-to-non-pruned-header, gnus-group-name,
    gnus-article-show-summary, url-view-url, dired-get-filename,
    bbdb-name, bbdb-company, bbdb, Info-find-node, vm-isearch-update,
    vm-isearch-narrow, vm-beginning-of-message, elmo-folder-exists-p,
    wl-folder-get-elmo-folder, wl-summary-goto-folder-subr,
    wl-summary-jump-to-msg-by-message-id, wl-summary-redisplay,
    rmail-what-message, mh-index-previous-folder, mh-get-msg-num,
    mh-show-buffer-message-number, mh-display-msg, mh-header-display,
    mh-show-header-display, mh-get-header-field, mh-show,
    mh-show-show, mh-find-path, mh-visit-folder,
    mh-normalize-folder-name, mh-search-choose, mh-search,
    mh-show-msg, bibtex-generate-autokey, bibtex-beginning-of-entry,
    bibtex-parse-entry, bibtex-url, file-remote-p,
    tramp-handle-file-remote-p, remember, remember-buffer-desc,
    list-diary-entries, add-to-diary-list, set-extent-properties,
    insert-extent, cdlatex-tab, temp-directory,
    table-generate-source
Wrote /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org.elc
Done
emacs -batch -q -f batch-byte-compile org-publish.el
While compiling the end of the data in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-publish.el:
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: set-file-times,
    org-export-as-html, eshell/cp
Wrote /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-publish.elc
Done
emacs -batch -q -f batch-byte-compile org-mouse.el
While compiling org-mouse-show-context-menu in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-mouse-context-menu-function
While compiling org-mouse-replace-match-and-surround in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable rest
While compiling org-mouse-get-priority in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-default-priority
While compiling org-mouse-at-link in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-bracket-link-regexp
  ** reference to free variable org-angle-link-re
  ** reference to free variable org-plain-link-re
While compiling org-mouse-priority-list in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-lowest-priority
While compiling org-mouse-popup-global-menu in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-agenda-custom-commands
While compiling org-mouse-todo-keywords in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-todo-keywords-1
  ** reference to free variable org-todo-keywords
While compiling org-mouse-match-todo-keyword in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-todo-regexp
While compiling org-mouse-context-menu in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable org-deadline-string
  ** reference to free variable org-scheduled-string
  ** reference to free variable org-startup-options
While compiling org-mouse-do-remotely in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** reference to free variable _cmd
While compiling the end of the data in file /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.el:
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: looking-back,
    outline-next-heading, org-insert-heading, org-time-stamp,
    org-timestamp-change, org-cycle, org-priority,
    org-at-date-range-p, org-at-timestamp-p, org-split-string,
    org-get-tags, org-get-buffer-tags, org-set-tags, org-at-item-p,
    org-at-item-checkbox-p, org-previous-item, org-next-item,
    org-back-to-heading, insert-for-yank, org-context,
    org-demote-subtree, org-promote-subtree, org-cut-subtree,
    outline-end-of-subtree, org-paste-subtree, org-with-remote-undo,
    org-show-hidden-entry, org-flag-heading, org-get-heading,
    org-agenda-change-all-lines
Wrote /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-mouse.elc
Done
emacs -batch -q -f batch-byte-compile org-install.el
Wrote /home/holger/Projekte/Pakete/Sources/org-4.73/org-install.elc
Done

* Re: Compilation errors with 4.73 (undefined functions, wrong number of parameters)
@ 2007-05-12 14:41 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-05-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Arnold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    It's been a while since I've compiled org.  I run uncompiled to
get more useful stacks and have easier debug.  It's slower but
educational.  I know when I did compile I always got a mess of errors.
 I just ignored them and everything worked.  For me I think it was
attempts to use packages I didn't have installed.  The ones about the
number of args would worry me.  After you compile it, does it work?

Edd

@ 2007-05-12 15:31   ` Holger Arnold
From: Holger Arnold @ 2007-05-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 5/11/07, Holger Arnold <holger@cs.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > when I try to byte-compile org-mode (e.g. by doing make), I get a number
> > of error messages about undefined functions and wrong number of
> > parameters (I have attached the output of a make).  When I then do M-x
> > org-mode, I get "Symbol's function definition is void: find-if".
> >
> > Without byte-compiling, org-mode seems to work at first sight, but I
> > don't know if some functions are deactivated or not broken.
> >
> > I'm using org-mode 4.73 on GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on openSUSE 10.2.  I didn't
> > have these problems with version 4.69 of org-mode.
> >
> > Does anyone know what's wrong here?
> >

> > Holger
>

>     It's been a while since I've compiled org.  I run uncompiled to
> get more useful stacks and have easier debug.  It's slower but
> educational.  I know when I did compile I always got a mess of errors.
>  I just ignored them and everything worked.  For me I think it was
> attempts to use packages I didn't have installed.  The ones about the
> number of args would worry me.  After you compile it, does it work?
>
> Edd

The compiled version does not work, as I cannot activate org-mode.

When I use the uncompiled version, at least the functions I am using *seem* to
work.  I would expect a problem when one of the undefined functions (as
find-if) gets called or one of the function calls with the wrong number of
parameters is reached.  But I don't know in which part of org-mode these
functions are being used.

Holger

* Re: Compilation errors with 4.73 (undefined functions, wrong number of parameters)
@ 2007-05-12 15:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-12 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Arnold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is an issue under Emacs 21, will be fixed in org-mode 4.74.

Thanks for reporting it.

- Carsten

On May 11, 2007, at 16:18, Holger Arnold wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when I try to byte-compile org-mode (e.g. by doing make), I get a
> number of
> error messages about undefined functions and wrong number of
> parameters (I
> have attached the output of a make).  When I then do M-x org-mode, I
> get "Symbol's function definition is void: find-if".
>
> Without byte-compiling, org-mode seems to work at first sight, but I
> don't
> know if some functions are deactivated or not broken.
>
> I'm using org-mode 4.73 on GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on openSUSE 10.2.  I
> didn't have
> these problems with version 4.69 of org-mode.
>
> Does anyone know what's wrong here?
>

> Holger
> <make-output>_______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Compilation errors with 4.73 (undefined functions, wrong number of parameters)
@ 2007-05-12 15:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Holger Arnold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

What I menat to say is:  The problem with find-if is Emacs 21 specific
and will be fixed.

All the other issues with number of arguments are because the number of
arguments of a couple of functions has changed between Emacs 21 and 22.
  Org-mode is aware of these cases and catches them.  The code will work
correctly despite of these error messages.