emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Selective Export Question
@ 2009-12-22  6:24 Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-12-22  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode emacs-orgmode

I have been making progress on my use of org-mode to manage both
my teaching notes and handouts in a single document.  However, there
is something I still have not been able to make happen.  That is
selective exporting of text *without* exporting a headline along with
it.

Here is a sample of what I would like.  In this example I have sections
with "common" text (should be in both teaching notes and handouts) and
sections that are specific to each individual output format.  What I
have below is set up to export the notes.  What I would like is to
have the text (only) of the non-excluded sections and not the headlines.

#+TITLE:     Test
#+LaTeX_CLASS: ClassNotes

#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: handouts

* Headline 1
   some text

** Headline 1-1
    even more text

* Headline 2
   some more text

** Headline 2-1
    Common text 1.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.

***** should be handouts only                :handouts:
       handout text

***** should be notes only                   :notes:
       notes text

** Headline 2-2
    Common text 2.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.

*****                                        :handouts:
       handout text again

*****                                        :notes:
       notes text again

The relevant material from my org-export-latex-classes is:

("ClassNotes" "\\documentclass[letter,twoside,openright]{memoir}
  ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
  ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
  ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
  ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
  ("%% Level 5" . "%% Level 5")
  ("%% Level 6" . "%% Level 6")
  ("%% Level 7" . "%% Level 7")
  ("%% Level 8" . "%% Level 8"))

I was hoping to allow all levels of heading to be exported but only
write comments for the levels below level 4.  It didn't work out that
way.

With the above I don't get *any* of the :notes: or :handouts:
sections written out.  However, if I include empty level three and four
headlines (the stars followed by a mandatory space) I get the :notes:
and :handouts: sections just fine.  Except now I also get empty
\subsection{} and \subsubsection{} blocks in my latex output.  I have
attached the resulting .tex file with comments pointing out the
extra heading lines I would like to *not* see...

The net result is a lot of blank space in the resulting .pdf file
between the 'common' text and the note- or handout-specific text.  This
is *definitely* not what I had in mind.

Is there any way of working around this or correcting this behavior?

Mark

[-- Attachment #2: test.tex --]

* Re: Selective Export Question
@ 2009-12-24 18:43 ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-12-24 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode emacs-orgmode

So, no Christmas present for me? :)

Merry Christmas everyone.  Thanks for all the hard work and
the help over the last year.  Congratulations for working
together to produce such a fantastic tool.

Mark

@ 2009-12-24 19:10   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2009-12-24 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

Merry Christmas Mark,

One way to create two LaTeX documents in the same org file using
common elements and keeping fine control over the LaTeX output is to
use Org-babel.

Here's an example from the Uses section of the Org-babel documentation
on Worg:

> ** Example
>
> *** TODO Your name
>     - Enter your full name on the open line below.
> #+srcname: your-name
> #+begin_src latex
> Tom Dye
> #+end_src
>
> *** TODO Your email address
>     - Enter your email address on the open line below.
> #+srcname: your-email
> #+begin_src latex
> tsd at tsdye dot com
> #+end_src
>
> *** No data entry below this line
>     - The two source blocks here each produce a LaTeX document after
>       they are tangled with a call to =org-babel-tangle=.
>
> #+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle dist-form.tex
>   \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>   \begin{document}
>   \section{Distribution Form}
>   \begin{description}
>   \item[Name] <<your-name>>
>   \item[Email] <<your-email>>
>   \end{description}
>   \end{document}
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src latex :noweb :tangle file-form.tex
>   \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>   \begin{document}
>   \section{File Form}
>   <<your-name>> can be reached at <<your-email>>.
>   \end{document}
> #+end_src

To my mind, using Org-babel this way is kind of like using the Org-
mode Agenda.  It frees the organization of your org file from the
organization of some external model, leaving you to organize it in the
way that makes the most sense to you.

That said, I'm relatively confident that there is some way to do what
you want in Org-mode using the built-in LaTeX exporter, but I don't
know what it might be.

All the best,
Tom

@ 2010-01-03 13:20 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-03 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Mark Elston wrote:

> I have been making progress on my use of org-mode to manage both
> my teaching notes and handouts in a single document.  However, there
> is something I still have not been able to make happen.  That is
> selective exporting of text *without* exporting a headline along with
> it.
>
> Here is a sample of what I would like.  In this example I have
> sections
> with "common" text (should be in both teaching notes and handouts) and
> sections that are specific to each individual output format.  What I
> have below is set up to export the notes.  What I would like is to
> have the text (only) of the non-excluded sections and not the
> headlines.

Hi Mark,

I think the right path for this is a function that you write and install
in org-export-preprocess-hook.  Then you can set your own conditions and
remove those headlines before Org even tries to look at them.

HTH

- Carsten

> #+TITLE:     Test
> #+LaTeX_CLASS: ClassNotes

> #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: handouts
>
> * Headline 1
>  some text
>
> ** Headline 1-1
>   even more text
>
> * Headline 2
>  some more text
>
> ** Headline 2-1
>   Common text 1.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.
>
> ***** should be handouts only                :handouts:
>      handout text
>
> ***** should be notes only                   :notes:
>      notes text
>
> ** Headline 2-2
>   Common text 2.  Should be followed by handout or notes text.
>
> *****                                        :handouts:
>      handout text again
>
> *****                                        :notes:
>      notes text again
>

> The relevant material from my org-export-latex-classes is:
>
> ("ClassNotes" "\\documentclass[letter,twoside,openright]{memoir}
> ("\\chapter{%s}" . "\\chapter*{%s}")
> ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
> ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
> ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
> ("%% Level 5" . "%% Level 5")
> ("%% Level 6" . "%% Level 6")
> ("%% Level 7" . "%% Level 7")
> ("%% Level 8" . "%% Level 8"))
>

> I was hoping to allow all levels of heading to be exported but only
> write comments for the levels below level 4.  It didn't work out that
> way.
>
> With the above I don't get *any* of the :notes: or :handouts:
> sections written out.  However, if I include empty level three and
> four
> headlines (the stars followed by a mandatory space) I get the :notes:
> and :handouts: sections just fine.  Except now I also get empty
> \subsection{} and \subsubsection{} blocks in my latex output.  I have
> attached the resulting .tex file with comments pointing out the
> extra heading lines I would like to *not* see...
>
> The net result is a lot of blank space in the resulting .pdf file
> between the 'common' text and the note- or handout-specific text.
> This
> is *definitely* not what I had in mind.
>
> Is there any way of working around this or correcting this behavior?
>
> Mark
> <test.tex>_______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

- Carsten

* Re: Selective Export Question
@ 2010-01-03 16:15   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2010-01-03 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Mark Elston wrote:
>
>> I have been making progress on my use of org-mode to manage both
>> my teaching notes and handouts in a single document.  However, there
>> is something I still have not been able to make happen.  That is
>> selective exporting of text *without* exporting a headline along with
>> it.
>>
>> Here is a sample of what I would like.  In this example I have sections
>> with "common" text (should be in both teaching notes and handouts) and
>> sections that are specific to each individual output format.  What I
>> have below is set up to export the notes.  What I would like is to
>> have the text (only) of the non-excluded sections and not the headlines.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I think the right path for this is a function that you write and install
> in org-export-preprocess-hook.  Then you can set your own conditions and
> remove those headlines before Org even tries to look at them.
>
> HTH
>
> - Carsten

Thanks, Carsten.

It is amazing how much infrastructure there is to support so many
features.  I wasn't aware of all the hooks available and this one
escaped my attention.  I will look into it.  My elisp isn't as good
as my C++ (or Python, or Perl...) but it is probably good enough to
make use of this.

Mark

* Re: Selective Export Question
@ 2010-01-03 17:52     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-01-03 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

Hi Mark,

there are about 100 hooks, see

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-hooks.php

And I am very happy to add more, wherever these is a use for it.

- Carsten

On Jan 3, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Mark Elston wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Mark Elston wrote:
>>> I have been making progress on my use of org-mode to manage both
>>> my teaching notes and handouts in a single document.  However, there
>>> is something I still have not been able to make happen.  That is
>>> selective exporting of text *without* exporting a headline along
>>> with
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Here is a sample of what I would like.  In this example I have
>>> sections
>>> with "common" text (should be in both teaching notes and handouts)
>>> and
>>> sections that are specific to each individual output format.  What I
>>> have below is set up to export the notes.  What I would like is to
>>> have the text (only) of the non-excluded sections and not the
>>> headlines.
>> Hi Mark,
>> I think the right path for this is a function that you write and
>> install
>> in org-export-preprocess-hook.  Then you can set your own
>> conditions and
>> remove those headlines before Org even tries to look at them.
>> HTH
>> - Carsten
>
> Thanks, Carsten.
>
> It is amazing how much infrastructure there is to support so many
> features.  I wasn't aware of all the hooks available and this one
> escaped my attention.  I will look into it.  My elisp isn't as good
> as my C++ (or Python, or Perl...) but it is probably good enough to
> make use of this.
>
> Mark

- Carsten