emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Problems exporting simple LaTeX math to HTML
@ 2017-02-14 19:44 Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2017-02-14 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[My apologies if this is a repeat. I tried posting this 4 days ago and didn’t see if appear on the list.]

I created the following very simple org file:

————

#+TITLE: *Math example*

\[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l<j} (1-\nu_l), \]

————

This exports to LaTeX fine, but when I export to HTML, the equation comes out as plain text

\[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l<j} (1-\nu_l), \]

Am I missing something?

By the way, org-version gives

Org mode version 9.0.5 (9.0.5-elpa @ /Users/stanton/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170210/)

* Re: Problems exporting simple LaTeX math to HTML
@ 2017-02-14 20:13 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-02-14 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Stanton <stanton@haas.berkeley.edu> writes:

> [My apologies if this is a repeat. I tried posting this 4 days ago and didn’t see if appear on the list.]
>
> I created the following very simple org file:
>
> ————
>
> #+TITLE: *Math example*
>
> \[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l<j} (1-\nu_l), \]
>

> ————
>
> This exports to LaTeX fine, but when I export to HTML, the equation comes out as plain text

> \[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l<j} (1-\nu_l), \]

That's the way it should be if Mathjax is enabled (which it is by
default): Mathjax should then interpret that and print out a nicely
formatted equation when you view it in the browser. *However*, Mathjax
has a limitation with "<": one workaround is to surround the < with
spaces:

 \[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l < j} (1-\nu_l), \]

See:
   http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html#tex-and-latex-in-html-documents

--
Nick

* Re: Problems exporting simple LaTeX math to HTML
@ 2017-02-14 20:24 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2017-02-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017, Richard Stanton wrote:

> [My apologies if this is a repeat. I tried posting this 4 days ago and didn’t see if appear on the list.]
>
> I created the following very simple org file:
>
> ————
>

> #+TITLE: *Math example*
>
> \[ w_j = \nu_j \prod_{l<j} (1-\nu_l), \]
>

> ————
>
> This exports to LaTeX fine, but when I export to HTML, the equation comes out as plain text

Seems like a bug.

To work around it, put a space between `<' and `j'.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: Problems exporting simple LaTeX math to HTML
@ 2017-02-14 21:35   ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2017-02-14 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

That works. Thanks.