emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* exporting - filtering
@ 2008-07-21 23:06 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-07-21 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only exported
if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only have
some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
time in the future.

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-07-21 23:20 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-07-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:06:57AM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:

> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only exported
> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only have
> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
> time in the future.

That sounds like a neat idea. You can always open a portion of the
tree in another window ( C-c C-x b ) and then hit export, I do that
all the time.

I do think it would be interesting if a property could modify whether
or not to include an item (or its children) in export.

Ideas?

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-07-21 23:36   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-07-21 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:06:57AM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:
>>
>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only exported
>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only have
>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
>> time in the future.
>
> That sounds like a neat idea. You can always open a portion of the
> tree in another window ( C-c C-x b ) and then hit export, I do that
> all the time.
>
> I do think it would be interesting if a property could modify whether
> or not to include an item (or its children) in export.
>
> Ideas?

The main reason of course is to filter out the dross from pages of tasks
and notes.

Something like a property on #include which specifies the tag to INCLUDE
in the export.

e.g

#+import "~/orgfiles/tasks.org" includetag:export-web recursive:no

or somesuch.

Maybe simpler are properties on the top of a org file of the form

#+export-tag: export-web

Since #import currently does not check for a timestamp it tends not to
get republished unless the parent file is changed. So a top property
might be better so any "lists" imported from ones tasks is really a link
click away (normal org link).

I dont know how practical these ideas are but maybe they can start the
ball rolling or prompt someone to suggest an existing method? Having to
manually open a tree portion and exporting it isnt really practical when using
project publishing.

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-07-23 23:22     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-07-23 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I do like the idea of a tag for selecting the subtrees that should be
exported.  I will not have time to implement this before september.
However, if someone wants to try:  `org-export-preprocess-hook' runs
in a temporary buffer containing the document to export.  You could
use org-map-entry to iterate over the trees in that buffer and kill
those that do not have the tag......

- Carsten

On Jul 21, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Russell Adams <RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.Com> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:06:57AM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:
>>>
>>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only
>>> exported
>>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode
>>> hierarchy
>>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then
>>> only have
>>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition
>>> some
>>> time in the future.
>>
>> That sounds like a neat idea. You can always open a portion of the
>> tree in another window ( C-c C-x b ) and then hit export, I do that
>> all the time.
>>
>> I do think it would be interesting if a property could modify whether
>> or not to include an item (or its children) in export.
>>
>> Ideas?
>

> The main reason of course is to filter out the dross from pages of
> tasks
> and notes.
>
> Something like a property on #include which specifies the tag to
> INCLUDE
> in the export.
>
> e.g
>
> #+import "~/orgfiles/tasks.org" includetag:export-web recursive:no
>
> or somesuch.
>
> Maybe simpler are properties on the top of a org file of the form
>
> #+export-tag: export-web
>
> Since #import currently does not check for a timestamp it tends not to
> get republished unless the parent file is changed. So a top property
> might be better so any "lists" imported from ones tasks is really a
> link
> click away (normal org link).
>
> I dont know how practical these ideas are but maybe they can start the
> ball rolling or prompt someone to suggest an existing method? Having
> manually open a tree portion and exporting it isnt really practical
> when using
> project publishing.

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-09-15  8:22 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-15  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Richard,

On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only
> exported
> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only
> have
> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
> time in the future.

I have finally been able to get to this message, and I am wondering
what the logic should be.   I think it is rather straight forward to
mark subtrees that should be *excluded* from export.  You can, in
fact, already do so by starting a tree with the COMMENT keyword, which
has exactly this purpose.  Granted, a tag or property might be more
appropriate - the fact that it is a keyword at the beginning of the
entry has more historic than practical reasons.

The logic for only selecting some trees for inclusion is harder, if
you think about subtrees that are not top-level.  If you mark a level
5 subtree for export, what should happen to the hierarchy above it?
his can get quickly very complex, so I was wondering if you have been
thinking about a reasonable logic for this.

- Carsten

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-09-15 10:57   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-09-15 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:
>

>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only
>> exported
>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode hierarchy
>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only
>> have
>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition some
>> time in the future.
>
> I have finally been able to get to this message, and I am wondering
> what the logic should be.   I think it is rather straight forward to
> mark subtrees that should be *excluded* from export.  You can, in
> fact, already do so by starting a tree with the COMMENT keyword, which

How does this affect agenda generation?

> has exactly this purpose.  Granted, a tag or property might be more
> appropriate - the fact that it is a keyword at the beginning of the
> entry has more historic than practical reasons.
>
> The logic for only selecting some trees for inclusion is harder, if
> you think about subtrees that are not top-level.  If you mark a level
> 5 subtree for export, what should happen to the hierarchy above it?
> his can get quickly very complex, so I was wondering if you have been
> thinking about a reasonable logic for this.

The way I personally see the html export is for publication of facts,
figures and ideas. And I tend to find very few of my entries in my org
files are of enough quality in terms of content and format to be
published.

Assuming we mark/tag  for export and to answer your final question:

If you mark a level five level item for export then you simply export
all headers for its level the other levels before hand.

Tagging for export is nice since you can have a section where the top
level is tagged for export and all items inherit it too. So two tags
would be ideal export and no_export (or something more ORGish since you
might with to temporarily repress the publication of certain items in an
exported block (all tagged as export thanks to the tags inheritance
mechanism).

> - Carsten

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-09-16 12:07     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-16 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:
>>

>>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only
>>> exported
>>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode
>>> hierarchy
>>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only
>>> have
>>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition
>>> some
>>> time in the future.
>>
>> I have finally been able to get to this message, and I am wondering
>> what the logic should be.   I think it is rather straight forward to
>> mark subtrees that should be *excluded* from export.  You can, in
>> fact, already do so by starting a tree with the COMMENT keyword,
>> which
>
> How does this affect agenda generation?

Point taken, indeed, comments also do not contribute to the agenda.

I'll look into the tags idea.

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-09-17 11:49     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-17 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Richard G Riley wrote:
>>

>>> When publishing/exporting can I limit certain sections to only
>>> exported
>>> if they are tagged for export? e.g I have a normal org mode
>>> hierarchy
>>> for my web page but then import a task based org file and then only
>>> have
>>> some of those published? If not I think it would be nice addition
>>> some
>>> time in the future.
>>
>> I have finally been able to get to this message, and I am wondering
>> what the logic should be.   I think it is rather straight forward to
>> mark subtrees that should be *excluded* from export.  You can, in
>> fact, already do so by starting a tree with the COMMENT keyword,
>> which
>
> How does this affect agenda generation?
>
>> has exactly this purpose.  Granted, a tag or property might be more
>> appropriate - the fact that it is a keyword at the beginning of the
>> entry has more historic than practical reasons.
>>
>> The logic for only selecting some trees for inclusion is harder, if
>> you think about subtrees that are not top-level.  If you mark a level
>> 5 subtree for export, what should happen to the hierarchy above it?
>> his can get quickly very complex, so I was wondering if you have been
>> thinking about a reasonable logic for this.
>
> The way I personally see the html export is for publication of facts,
> figures and ideas. And I tend to find very few of my entries in my org
> files are of enough quality in terms of content and format to be
> published.
>
> Assuming we mark/tag  for export and to answer your final question:
>
> If you mark a level five level item for export then you simply export
> all headers for its level the other levels before hand.
>
> Tagging for export is nice since you can have a section where the top
> level is tagged for export and all items inherit it too. So two tags
> would be ideal export and no_export (or something more ORGish since
> you
> might with to temporarily repress the publication of certain items
> in an
> exported block (all tagged as export thanks to the tags inheritance
> mechanism).

Using tags for selective export is now up in the git repo, and will be
part of release 6.7 later this week.

- Carsten

* Re: exporting - filtering
@ 2008-09-17 12:42       ` Giovanni Ridolfi