emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Has filling behavior been changed recently in org?
@ 2009-11-12 20:13 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-12 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For some reason, I can fill a commented paragraph in emacs lisp mode,
text mode, and fundamental mode, but not in org mode.  It does
nothing.  fill-column is my normal 60.  I cannot debug it.  Did
something change recently?  I use filladapt.

Thanks.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]

* Re: Has filling behavior been changed recently in org?
@ 2009-11-12 22:05 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-12 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> For some reason, I can fill a commented paragraph in emacs lisp mode,
> text mode, and fundamental mode, but not in org mode.  It does
> nothing.  fill-column is my normal 60.  I cannot debug it.  Did
> something change recently?  I use filladapt.
>
> Thanks.

Sorry for the question, but "in emacs lisp mode" is not "in org mode",
is it?

BTW: That's exactly what I use filladapt for. Fill (only) commented
paragraphs.

  Sebastian

* Re: Has filling behavior been changed recently in org?
@ 2009-11-12 22:09   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

On 2009-11-12, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>> For some reason, I can fill a commented paragraph in emacs lisp mode,
>> text mode, and fundamental mode, but not in org mode.  It does
>> nothing.  fill-column is my normal 60.  I cannot debug it.  Did
>> something change recently?  I use filladapt.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Sorry for the question, but "in emacs lisp mode" is not "in org mode",
> is it?

Sorry, I don't understand your comment at all.

* Re: Has filling behavior been changed recently in org?
@ 2009-11-12 23:33     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-11-12 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On 2009-11-12, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>>> For some reason, I can fill a commented paragraph in emacs lisp mode,
>>> text mode, and fundamental mode, but not in org mode.  It does
>>> nothing.  fill-column is my normal 60.  I cannot debug it.  Did
>>> something change recently?  I use filladapt.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sorry for the question, but "in emacs lisp mode" is not "in org mode",
>> is it?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand your comment at all.

Sorry, I mis-read your mail :-(

I read:
  For some reason, I can fill a commented paragraph in emacs lisp mode,

...but somehow the next line slipped through.

Well, I believe the problem is, that we have no simple defined comment
start in Org-mode.

If `#' was the comment start, lines might be wrapped and stop
working. As `#' also starts working directives, e.g. for ditaa and
gnuplot.

In addition, a `#' may occur anywhere in a line but the first non-blank
position and would not start a comment.

Also, imagine a code block like this:

  #+begin_src perl
    print "This example";
    # ...contains a perl comment...
    # In deep nested node, this line might wrap, because of the fill column.
  #+end_src

Anyway, I believe it could be done - but no one got around and did it
yet. It seems complicated and error prone.

Best wishes

  Sebastian

* Re: Has filling behavior been changed recently in org?
@ 2009-11-13  0:00       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-11-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-11-12, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Well, I believe the problem is, that we have no simple defined comment
> start in Org-mode.

I should have realized that was possibly the problem before posting.
I thought I solved that a long time ago.  But I was not able to debug
today.

The following seems to fix the problem without causing any problems.
You have to have my filladapt fixes.

(set (make-local-variable 'comment-start) "#")

In order to fix a bug a long time ago, I had that line for all text
files and not org files.  Now I think I can set it for org mode also.
In other words, somebody possibly made a change to org that fixed the
problem.

But I am not capable of investigating it further to make sure today.

> If `#' was the comment start, lines might be wrapped and stop
> working. As `#' also starts working directives, e.g. for ditaa and
> gnuplot.

Works fine with my filladapt fixes.

Thanks.

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: You only think it's dark. [CDC has denied ME/CFS for 25 years]