emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Refiling Completion Systems
@ 2019-02-08 14:05 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2019-02-08 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've been using org-mode for over ten years and at some point the ido
completion for refiling went away -- probably when refiling functionalty
was rewritten.  Is there a similar completion system available that I
can use to locate my refile targets?  I really liked the ido search with
incremental search refinement (C-SPC) of IDO to limit my targets until I
find the one I want.

I'm currently using

(setq org-refile-use-outline-path t)

but that isn't really working well when I don't remember the parent task
heading :)

I am currently using Org on Windows.

GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2016-09-17
Org mode version 9.2.1 (release_9.2.1-195-gef1edf @ c:/D-Drive/bin/org-mode/lisp/)

Thanks for Org!

Best regards,
Bernt

* Re: Refiling Completion Systems
@ 2019-02-08 18:08 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-02-08 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You might look into using ivy or helm for completion. You can turn on
ivy-mode, for example and it redfines all the completing-read type
functions in Emacs so that it all uses the ivy way to do it. They are
kind of similar, but have some different philosophies and key-binding
approaches. I found helm first, and liked it, but over time have drifted
to ivy for almost everything.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Refiling Completion Systems
@ 2019-02-08 22:34 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2019-02-08 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

the built-in ido completion is likely mostly redundant and that is i
think mostly why it was removed.  [ooh, disclaimers.]

to get your ido back, you can install ido-hacks, which will

  1] make ido work in all sorts of places including refile
  2] speed up ido by an enormous amount

you might need to make sure you have the right version.

there is also something like ido-everywhere, but idk if it has the
speeding up feature or whether it does ido in the same places.

alternatively, you can try helm [old, huge, different usage] or ivy
[new, fast].  icicles is not as popular.

i think both helm and ivy have c-spc ability or the equivalent.

ivy is the most like ido of the popular non-ido.

===

i use ido with ido-hacks and ido-clever-match.  the last one sorts
choices beautifully.  i get annoyed with different sort orders.

i might switch to ivy in the future if it can provide the same sort
order as ido-clever-match.  it provides options, but not that one.

it has been said that flx is a nice sorting option and that ivy can
provide it, but it was too slow last time i tried it.  idk if ivy
speeds flx up.  idk if it is close enough to ido-clever-match for me.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.

* Re: Refiling Completion Systems
@ 2019-02-09 10:20   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2019-02-09 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am Fri, 8 Feb 2019 15:34:17 -0700
schrieb Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>:

> i use ido with ido-hacks and ido-clever-match.  the last one sorts
> choices beautifully.

Would it be possible to see your config?
Such a headstart would be fine!

Detlef