emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* mailing list search given problems with gmane?
@ 2016-09-05 15:50 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-05 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
current problems with gmane?

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

From: Grant Rettke @ 2016-09-06  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
> current problems with gmane?

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/

* Re: mailing list search given problems with gmane?
       [not found] ` <17f223308c1a4cffa968f40fee5a627f@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-09-06  6:29   ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]     ` <a7fcb1e41f754ff293e84b761c05aba0@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-06  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday,  6 Sep 2016 at 01:48, Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
>> current problems with gmane?
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/

Thanks!
I would be lost without access to the mailing list.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

From: Charles Millar @ 2016-09-06 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/06/2016 02:29 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Tuesday,  6 Sep 2016 at 01:48, Grant Rettke wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
>>> current problems with gmane?
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/
> Thanks!
> I would be lost without access to the mailing list.
The mail list search has been broken for more than one year (close to
two). I and others have asked that it be repaired and nothing has happened!

Charlie Millar

@ 2016-09-06 11:24 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2016-09-06 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/05/2016 11:50 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
> current problems with gmane?

I have been using MailArchive.  A few weeks ago. Lars Magne mentioned
this as an alternative.

Also, I have added the newsgroup in my Thunderbir. However, I have not
downloaded the entire 100,000+ messages (only about 1K). Maybe
downloading headers only and searching through those would help?

gnus is having problems when I attempt to download the
subscribed/unsubscribed lists.

Charlie Millar

@ 2016-09-06 13:24       ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found]         ` <b5f371c6eb384d35be0659aa2a5fd669@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-06 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday,  6 Sep 2016 at 11:07, Charles Millar wrote:
> The mail list search has been broken for more than one year (close to
> two). I and others have asked that it be repaired and nothing has
> happened!

Are you sure it's been broken that long?  I don't use it often but I
thought I used it more recently than that.  Oh well, doesn't matter;
just curious.  The key is that it's broken now but at least there are
alternatives.

I'll check out MailArchive, as you indicated in another post to this
list.

Thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

@ 2016-09-06 15:39   ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-09-06 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
>> current problems with gmane?
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/

Can somebody please update http://orgmode.org/community.html so that
the ML search is using the GNU server?

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: Change Org homepage ML search to GNU
@ 2016-09-07 20:52     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-07 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> * Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> do we have any alternative means to search the mailing list given the
>>> current problems with gmane?
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/
>
> Can somebody please update http://orgmode.org/community.html so that
> the ML search is using the GNU server?

We might want to wait a few weeks: Gmane is being resurrected

   https://lwn.net/Articles/699704/

And I'm not sure whether I'm doing something wrong but the Namazu search
on https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/ is horrible.

--
Nick

@ 2016-09-07 21:03         ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]         ` <b5f371c6eb384d35be0659aa2a5fd669@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Tuesday,  6 Sep 2016 at 11:07, Charles Millar wrote:
>> The mail list search has been broken for more than one year (close to
>> two). I and others have asked that it be repaired and nothing has
>> happened!
>
> Are you sure it's been broken that long?  I don't use it often but I
> thought I used it more recently than that.  Oh well, doesn't matter;
> just curious.  The key is that it's broken now but at least there are
> alternatives.

I'm not sure whether Charles is referring to Gmane search or the
lists.gnu.org search: I understood it to be the latter. If he indeed
means the latter, I can agree that it seems broken.  It might just be
that the index is not being rebuilt regularly, or there might be some
deeper problem, but I have found it to be unusable.

Gmane (while it was still alive) broke a few times but it was always
repaired fairly quickly (I nagged Lars a couple of times about it, so
I may have indirectly contributed to him giving up in disgust ;-) ).
Now that Gmane is being resurrected[1], I hope that things will be
more or less back to normal in fairly short order.

[1] see another post of mine in this thread - although bear in mind
    that my posts seem to take 12 hours to appear on the list; no
    idea why.
--
Nick

@ 2016-09-07 22:32           ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2016-09-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/07/2016 05:03 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> On Tuesday,  6 Sep 2016 at 11:07, Charles Millar wrote:
>>> The mail list search has been broken for more than one year (close to
>>> two). I and others have asked that it be repaired and nothing has
>>> happened!
>> Are you sure it's been broken that long?  I don't use it often but I
>> thought I used it more recently than that.  Oh well, doesn't matter;
>> just curious.  The key is that it's broken now but at least there are
>> alternatives.
>>
> I'm not sure whether Charles is referring to Gmane search or the
> lists.gnu.org search: I understood it to be the latter. If he indeed
> means the latter, I can agree that it seems broken.  It might just be
> that the index is not being rebuilt regularly, or there might be some
> deeper problem, but I have found it to be unusable.
Yes I did mean lists.gnu.org. Since April 2015, at least, I have
occasionally gone to the search engine for that list to see if it has
been repaired and I have had no luck. Either it has never been repaired
or I somehow mange to chose just the "right" time when it is down, again.
> Gmane (while it was still alive) broke a few times but it was always
> repaired fairly quickly (I nagged Lars a couple of times about it, so
> I may have indirectly contributed to him giving up in disgust ;-) ).
> Now that Gmane is being resurrected[1], I hope that things will be
> more or less back to normal in fairly short order.
>
> [1] see another post of mine in this thread - although bear in mind
>      that my posts seem to take 12 hours to appear on the list; no
>      idea why.
Great! Then I can find who first reported that lists.gnu.org search was
not working and when. I know that it wasn't me.

As I recall Nicolas G. suggested that I contact whoever maintained the
list (he gave the address) and report this. I did, but no response.

Charlie Millar

* Re: mailing list search given problems with gmane?
@ 2016-09-08  1:40             ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2016-09-08  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Millar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
> Great! Then I can find who first reported that lists.gnu.org search was not
> working and when. I know that it wasn't me.

So you aren't saying that just the list for org-mode is broken you are
saying that all GNU mailing list archives are broken?!

* Re: mailing list search given problems with gmane?
@ 2016-09-08  4:16               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-09-08  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Great! Then I can find who first reported that lists.gnu.org search was not
>> working and when. I know that it wasn't me.
>
> So you aren't saying that just the list for org-mode is broken you are
> saying that all GNU mailing list archives are broken?!

I don't know if Charles has tried other lists on lists.gnu.org - I have only
tried searching the org-mode list, so I can only confirm that that one seems
broken.

--
Nick

From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-09-08  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday,  7 Sep 2016 at 21:03, Nick Dokos wrote:

[...]

> Now that Gmane is being resurrected[1], I hope that things will be
> more or less back to normal in fairly short order.

Yes, Lars posted on his blog about this.  The site is back up for
reading but no search yet.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.94.1, Org release_8.3.5-1070-g190476

@ 2016-09-08 10:40                 ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2016-09-08 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 09/08/2016 12:16 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Great! Then I can find who first reported that lists.gnu.org search was not
>>> working and when. I know that it wasn't me.
>> So you aren't saying that just the list for org-mode is broken you are
>> saying that all GNU mailing list archives are broken?!
>>

> I don't know if Charles has tried other lists on lists.gnu.org - I have only
> tried searching the org-mode list, so I can only confirm that that one seems
> broken.

Just the org mode list. Apologize for the confusion!
Charlie