emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* how to quote slashes in org-protocol string?
@ 2015-08-16  9:27 Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2015-08-16  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-mode users and developers,

how do I quote slashes ("/") in TITLE or BODY in org-protocol
string?

     emacsclient org-protocol:/capture:/x/URL/TITLE/BODY

I capture emails from mutt (mail user agent) to org-mode via mutt
macros and bash scripts.  Now I get errors in Emacs „Greedy
org-protocol handler.  Killing client.“ because TITLE (the
Subject of the email) contains slashes.

I tried to quote the slashes with slashes but this chops of part
of the TITLE.

Ciao, Gregor
--
 -... --- .-. . -.. ..--.. ...-.-

* SOLVED (was: Re: how to quote slashes in org-protocol string?)
@ 2015-08-16 12:41 ` Gregor Zattler
From: Gregor Zattler @ 2015-08-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org-mode users and developers,
* Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> [16. Aug. 2015]:
> how do I quote slashes ("/") in TITLE or BODY in org-protocol
> string?

Answer: urlencode them as explained in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding

>      emacsclient org-protocol:/capture:/x/URL/TITLE/BODY
>
> I capture emails from mutt (mail user agent) to org-mode via mutt
> macros and bash scripts.  Now I get errors in Emacs „Greedy
> org-protocol handler.  Killing client.“ because TITLE (the
> Subject of the email) contains slashes.
>
> I tried to quote the slashes with slashes but this chops of part
> of the TITLE.

A function to do so in bash can be found at:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/296536/how-to-urlencode-data-for-curl-command

Ciao, Gregor
--