emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* export to man page problem
@ 2014-09-07  6:56 Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-09-07  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,
When exporting to a man page an underscore will be translated to
nothing.

Any idea what I could do?

--
Manfred

* Re: export to man page problem
@ 2014-09-07  7:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-07  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manfred Lotz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@arcor.de> writes:

> When exporting to a man page an underscore will be translated to
> nothing.
>
> Any idea what I could do?

Because I know close to nothing about Groff, could you give an example
illustrating

  1. what you wrote,
  2. what you expected to have in the ".man" file,
  3. what you actually got.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: export to man page problem
@ 2014-09-07  7:45   ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-09-07  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nicolas,
Thanks for answering.

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:12:21 +0200
Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@arcor.de> writes:
>
> > When exporting to a man page an underscore will be translated to
> > nothing.
> >
> > Any idea what I could do?
>
> Because I know close to nothing about Groff, could you give an example
> illustrating
>
>   1. what you wrote,
>   2. what you expected to have in the ".man" file,
>   3. what you actually got.

Take this

<--------------snip---------------->
#+TITLE: mycmd
* NAME
mycmd - does very important things
* SYNOPSIS
mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]
* DESCRIPTION
mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable MYCMD_OPT
<--------------snap---------------->

The man page looks like this:

mycmd(1)                                         General Commands
Manual                                         mycmd(1)

NAME
       mycmd - does very important things

SYNOPSIS
       mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]

DESCRIPTION
       mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable
MYCMDOPT

As you can see the _ (underscore) in MYCMD_OPT vanished.

--

@ 2014-09-07  8:14     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-07  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manfred Lotz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@arcor.de> writes:

> Take this
>
> <--------------snip---------------->
> #+TITLE: mycmd
> * NAME
> mycmd - does very important things
> * SYNOPSIS
> mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]
> * DESCRIPTION
> mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable MYCMD_OPT
> <--------------snap---------------->
>
> The man page looks like this:
>
> mycmd(1)                                         General Commands
> Manual                                         mycmd(1)
>

> NAME
>        mycmd - does very important things
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable
> MYCMDOPT
>

> As you can see the _ (underscore) in MYCMD_OPT vanished.

In this case, "_OPT" is a subscript, which is translated into
"MYCMD\d\s-2OPT\s+2\u". For some reason, groff doesn't recognize this
markup.

Anyway, you probably don't want a subscript here. Locally, you can use
a macro instead:

  MYCMD\under{}OPT

or simply disable subscript (and superscript) for the whole document:

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: export to man page problem
@ 2014-09-07 14:53       ` Manfred Lotz
From: Manfred Lotz @ 2014-09-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 10:14:59 +0200
Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Manfred Lotz <manfred.lotz@arcor.de> writes:
>
> > Take this
> >
> > <--------------snip---------------->
> > #+TITLE: mycmd
> > * NAME
> > mycmd - does very important things
> > * SYNOPSIS
> > mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]
> > * DESCRIPTION
> > mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable MYCMD_OPT
> > <--------------snap---------------->
> >
> > The man page looks like this:
> >
> > mycmd(1)                                         General Commands
> > Manual                                         mycmd(1)
> >

> > NAME
> >        mycmd - does very important things
> >
> > SYNOPSIS
> >        mycmd.pl -u bla [-R] [-A] [-n] [-a]
> >
> > DESCRIPTION
> >        mycmd could be configured by setting environment variable
> > MYCMDOPT
> >

> > As you can see the _ (underscore) in MYCMD_OPT vanished.
>
> In this case, "_OPT" is a subscript, which is translated into
> "MYCMD\d\s-2OPT\s+2\u". For some reason, groff doesn't recognize this
> markup.
>
> Anyway, you probably don't want a subscript here. Locally, you can use
> a macro instead:
>
>   MYCMD\under{}OPT
>
> or simply disable subscript (and superscript) for the whole document:

In this case I prefer the OPTINS version. However, it is good to know I
just could use \under.

Thanks a lot for your help.

--
Manfred