emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* #+BEAMER_THEME fails
@ 2013-09-17  8:22 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2013-09-17  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Using Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.1.1) and having read the page

  http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html

I assumed I would be able to set the Beamer theme using

  #+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid

However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
looking at

  http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/presentation.org.html

I found the more cryptic

  #+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}

which did work.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: #+BEAMER_THEME fails
@ 2013-09-17 12:13 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:22:40AM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.1.1) and having read the page
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>
> I assumed I would be able to set the Beamer theme using
>
>   #+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid
>
> However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
> looking at

Can you provide a minimal working example[1] with a sample of the exported
LaTeX code for you?

>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/presentation.org.html
>
> I found the more cryptic
>
>   #+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
>
> which did work.

Well, this inserts raw LaTeX in the exported file.  So yes, that should
always work.

Footnotes:

[1] <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#bug-reporting>

--
Suvayu

* Re: #+BEAMER_THEME fails
@ 2013-09-17 12:51   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2013-09-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:22:40AM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.1.1) and having read the page
>>
>>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>>
>> I assumed I would be able to set the Beamer theme using
>>
>>   #+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid
>>
>> However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
>> looking at
>
> Can you provide a minimal working example[1] with a sample of the exported
> LaTeX code for you?

That was a good suggestion, as it helped me to find the problem.  My
mistake was exporting to LaTeX

  As PDF file

instead of

  As PDF file (Beamer)

In principle it is clear when you do 'C-x C-e' that you should choose
the latter option if you are using Beamer.  However, I didn't come
across any mention of export to Beamer being different from export to
non-beamer PDF in the documentation.  So maybe it would be an idea to
add a section about exporting to the tutorial

  http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

to help the easily-confused, like myself.

As a matter of interest, has the new exporter always behaved like that?
And what is the rationale behind the distinction?

@ 2013-09-17 13:21     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-17 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:51:36PM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
> Hi Suvayu,
>
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Loris,
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:22:40AM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Using Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.1.1) and having read the page
> >>
> >>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
> >>
> >> I assumed I would be able to set the Beamer theme using
> >>
> >>   #+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid
> >>
> >> However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
> >> looking at
> >
> > Can you provide a minimal working example[1] with a sample of the exported
> > LaTeX code for you?
>
> That was a good suggestion, as it helped me to find the problem.  My
> mistake was exporting to LaTeX
>
>   As PDF file
>
> instead of
>
>   As PDF file (Beamer)
>
> In principle it is clear when you do 'C-x C-e' that you should choose
> the latter option if you are using Beamer.  However, I didn't come
> across any mention of export to Beamer being different from export to
> non-beamer PDF in the documentation.  So maybe it would be an idea to
> add a section about exporting to the tutorial
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html
>
> to help the easily-confused, like myself.
>
> As a matter of interest, has the new exporter always behaved like that?
> And what is the rationale behind the distinction?

The answer is: it is a feature.  Documenting it is actually among my
TODOs[1].  If you would like to add something to any of the articles,
please feel free to contribute.

  <http://orgmode.org/worg/worg-about.html>

In case sending SSH keys is not possible or complicated for you, you can
send a patch, I can commit it for you.  In any case, I will try to
update the articles when I can find the time.

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#sec-5-1>

--
Suvayu

* Re: #+BEAMER_THEME fails
@ 2013-09-17 14:57 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-09-17 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Loris Bennett <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

[...]

> However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
> looking at
>
>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/presentation.org.html
>
> I found the more cryptic
>
>   #+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
>
> which did work.
>
> Am I missing something here?

I see you have already solved your problem (export to beamer, not
LaTeX).  FYI, the line you found was for the previous exporter which did
not have a separate export to beamer.  This will still work but the new
BEAMER_THEME directive is more friendly!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-7-gaecdf5