emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-05 12:17 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-05 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

Is there a possiblity to hide text in a org file, such then it is not
displayed (or does not appear) in the odt file, I generated using
org-odt-export-to-odt?

thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-05 17:07 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-07-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> Is there a possiblity to hide text in a org file, such then it is not
> displayed (or does not appear) in the odt file, I generated using
> org-odt-export-to-odt?

I'm not sure if I have misunderstood your question or not but you can
easily exclude whole subtrees from export by, for instance:

#+title: The title
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport

* Introduction
  some text which will appear in the exported document.
* Private stuff      :noexport:
  this will never appear in the exported document.

Exporting this will include the first headline and contents but not the
second.  This is regardless of export target.  Is this what you wanted?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.0.3-324-gb61ef4

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-05 17:22   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-05 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> "Eric" == Eric S Fraga <Eric> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> Hello

   > I'm not sure if I have misunderstood your question or not but you can
   > easily exclude whole subtrees from export by, for instance:

   > #+title: The title
   > #+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport

   > * Introduction
   >   some text which will appear in the exported document.
   > * Private stuff      :noexport:
   >   this will never appear in the exported document.

   > Exporting this will include the first headline and contents but not
   > the second.  This is regardless of export target.  Is this what you
   > wanted?

Almost. Is this also possible without a header?

I tried but it did not work.

I mean something like this:

-------------------------

This text will appear.

<begin invisible>
secret text
<end invisible>

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-05 17:40     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-07-05 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maybe use #+begin_comment ... #+end_comment?
--
Composed on a very small pocket computer.  Please excuse the brevity.

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-05 19:26       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-05 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/05/2013 07:40 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>   #+begin_comment ... #+end_comment?
does not work, the odt file contains

#+begin_comment

my text

#+end_comment ?

the issue is I want to write say one paragraph in Spanish
and the next in German, again spanish then German, etc
but the odt file should only display one language.

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-06  7:13         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-06  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 09:26:22PM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> On 07/05/2013 07:40 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> >  #+begin_comment ... #+end_comment?
> does not work, the odt file contains
>
> #+begin_comment
>
> my text
>
> #+end_comment ?
>
> the issue is I want to write say one paragraph in Spanish
> and the next in German, again spanish then German, etc
> but the odt file should only display one language.

Why are you not using Org comments?

Visible text, exported

# Org comment, not exported

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-06  8:37           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-07-06  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> "Suvayu" == Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

   > On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 09:26:22PM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >>
   >> the issue is I want to write say one paragraph in Spanish
   >> and the next in German, again spanish then German, etc
   >> but the odt file should only display one language.

   > Why are you not using Org comments?

   > Visible text, exported

   > # Org comment, not exported

   > Hope this helps,

this works, of course, thanks! The only issue is if I want to export say
either only Spanish or only German, than this approach needs to delete
and replace  the comments manually. But ok, better than nothing.

That is

Spanish is exported
# german is not exported.

# spanish not
German is exported.

While I would like to have some tags which I could toggle on and off,
for example in the example of Eric, I would just substitute
the tag :noexport: for :export:

However his approach needs to set headers before the text.

Anyhow thanks for you help.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-06  9:52           ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2013-07-06  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali writes:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 09:26:22PM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> the issue is I want to write say one paragraph in Spanish
>> and the next in German, again spanish then German, etc
>> but the odt file should only display one language.

Try drawers:

------8<-------------------

#+title: Using drawers to display one language at a time
#+drawers: ENGLISH SPANISH GERMAN

:ENGLISH:
We can use drawers to display one language at a time,
paragraph by paragraph. The Spanish is currently hidden in export.
To display it, add "SPANISH" to the list after the `d:' option.
:END:

:SPANISH:
¿Que tal?
:END:

:GERMAN:
Wie geht es?
:END:

------8<-------------------

Yours,
Christian

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-06 11:03             ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-06 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Uwe,

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 10:37:07AM +0200, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> While I would like to have some tags which I could toggle on and off,
> for example in the example of Eric, I would just substitute
> the tag :noexport: for :export:

If you want to use tags, but then say you would prefer not to have
headlines, don't you think it is contradictory?

This kind of expectation has come up again and again over the years in
different forms.  To add meta data to a block of text (which is how I
view tagging, or properties) you either need XML like enclosing tags or
a headline (as Org does), bearing in mind it has to be plain text.  I do
not think there is any other clean way to implement this other than the
way it is presently.

To explain with some examples: Org markup syntax like, *bold*,
/italics/, etc, can be considered XML like enclosing tags (simplified to
a great extent), and tags, properties, TODO keywords, priorities, etc
are examples of the headline based division.

If you or any other user wants this kind of feature, you have to come up
with a syntax that is not intrusive and doesn't break basic Org
features.

Hope this helps you, and future users, better understand the relevant
issues.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-06 16:48               ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-07-06 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

El Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:03:01 +0200 Suvayu Ali va escriure:

> If you or any other user wants this kind of feature, you have to come up
> with a syntax that is not intrusive and doesn't break basic Org
> features.

  I created such a syntax for normal text files [1] but have been struggling to port it to Org, mainly because of the „header“ concept.
  I want translatable content in headers and text inside headers but without ever having to distort the outline structure (e.g. duplicate headers, missing titles, …).
  I see two solutions:

  1)
  If only we had „part-of-line drawers“ we could annotate titles directly:

* @ENGLISH{Section 1} @SPANISH{Sección 1}
:ENGLISH:
Section 1 is in English
:ENGLISH:

:SPANISH:
La sección 1 está en español
:SPANISH:

** 123
etc. (more translatable content)
** 456

  2)
  We could do the same with a property which means „if drawer X is visible, use this property's value as the title of this section“. E.g.:

* the first section (this title isn't used)
  :PROPERTIES:
  :TITLE_ENGLISH: Section 1
  :TITLE_SPANISH: Sección 1
  :END:

:ENGLISH:
Section 1 is in English
:ENGLISH:

:SPANISH:
La sección 1 está en español
:SPANISH:

** 123
etc. (more translatable content)
** 456

  Just some ideas for anyone who has the time to come up with a multilingual export engine.

[1]: http://www.danielclemente.com/dislines/syntax.en.html

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-07  3:32                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-07-07  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

> El Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:03:01 +0200 Suvayu Ali va escriure:
>>
>> If you or any other user wants this kind of feature, you have to come up
>> with a syntax that is not intrusive and doesn't break basic Org
>> features.
>>

>   I created such a syntax for normal text files [1] but have been
> struggling to port it to Org, mainly because of the „header“ concept.
>   I want translatable content in headers and text inside headers but
> without ever having to distort the outline structure (e.g. duplicate
> headers, missing titles, …).
>   I see two solutions:
>
>   1)
>   If only we had „part-of-line drawers“ we could annotate titles directly:
>
> * @ENGLISH{Section 1} @SPANISH{Sección 1}
> :ENGLISH:
> Section 1 is in English
> :ENGLISH:
>
> :SPANISH:
> La sección 1 está en español
> :SPANISH:
>
> ** 123
> etc. (more translatable content)
> ** 456
>
>   2)
>   We could do the same with a property which means „if drawer X is
> visible, use this property's value as the title of this section“.
> E.g.:
>
> * the first section (this title isn't used)
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :TITLE_ENGLISH: Section 1
>   :TITLE_SPANISH: Sección 1
>   :END:
>
> :ENGLISH:
> Section 1 is in English
> :ENGLISH:
>
> :SPANISH:
> La sección 1 está en español
> :SPANISH:
>
> ** 123
> etc. (more translatable content)
> ** 456
>

>   Just some ideas for anyone who has the time to come up with a multilingual export engine.
>

> [1]: http://www.danielclemente.com/dislines/syntax.en.html

I came up with the basics of an automated translation system, that could
be turned into this. The problem is that I only work from Chinese to
English, so I never got around to multilingual support, nor does it
support tagging or blocking out specific strings to translate.

You put your translation table in an org table, and there's a command to
slurp that into a hashtable. The translation commands just whizz through
the text and swap strings, basically. You can do subtree/region/file,
tag subtrees to translate or not to translate, and there are interactive
(a la query-replace) and noninteractive (for use as an export hook)
versions.

Work on it stalled because I do less translation these days. The core of
it's fairly solid, though, and I'd be happy to push it in whatever
direction people would find useful. The next step would be settling on
syntax: right now you can just leave arbitrary strings in the text, and
anything that matches a term from the dictionary will get translated.
That's only useful when you're essentially just translating a whole file
from one language into another. I'll take a look at the syntax link
above.

Yours,
Eric

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-07  7:23 ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-07-07  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have written something that may be useful to some and is somewhat
complementary to what is being discussed here.
[Well 'written' is not quite accurate  -- Nick and Stefan helped me get it
together]
Its a transliteration system that Ive used with the itrans devanagari (ie
Hindi/Sanskrit etc)

I expect that in any language in which
1. there is a somewhat accepted standard roman form
2. that roman form is available as an emacs input method
3. the roman is easier to write but painful (for natives of course!!) to
read

this will be useful

ie make a buffer (needs to be visiting a file) containing
OM
and call rpm-apply-iinput-method
and you should get a buffer containing
ॐ

Regards
Rusi

--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org

[-- Attachment #2: apply-input-method.el --]

(setq rpm-input-method "devanagari-itrans")

(defun rpm-apply-input-method ()
  "buffer to buffer apply input method with buffering windowing stuff mixed up"
  (interactive)
  (let* ((inp (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)))
	 (filename (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)))
	 (outname (concat (file-name-sans-extension filename)
			       "-hi"
			       (file-name-extension filename t)))
	 (p))
    (switch-to-buffer-other-frame outname)
    (save-excursion
      (save-window-excursion
	(setq buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
	(set-input-method rpm-input-method t)
	(setq p (point))
	(erase-buffer)
	(execute-kbd-macro inp)))
    (goto-char p)
    (other-frame 1)))

(global-set-key [f4] 'rpm-apply-input-method)

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-07  8:04                   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-07  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 11:32:49AM +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >   Just some ideas for anyone who has the time to come up with a multilingual export engine.
> >
> > [1]: http://www.danielclemente.com/dislines/syntax.en.html
>
> I came up with the basics of an automated translation system, that could
> be turned into this. The problem is that I only work from Chinese to
> English, so I never got around to multilingual support, nor does it
> support tagging or blocking out specific strings to translate.

May I just say, this is why I absolutely love this list/community; I
write a longish part-rant part-explanation response, and that triggers
such an interesting discussion.

Amazing!

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-07  8:05   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-07-07  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Rustom,

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 12:53:19PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:

> ie make a buffer (needs to be visiting a file) containing
> OM
> and call rpm-apply-iinput-method
> and you should get a buffer containing
> ॐ

Beautiful!  I'll fool around with this a bit.

--
Suvayu

* Re: org-odt-export-to-odt: hide text
@ 2013-07-07  8:48                   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2013-07-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> You put your translation table in an org table, and there's a command to
> slurp that into a hashtable. The translation commands just whizz through
> the text and swap strings, basically. You can do subtree/region/file,
> tag subtrees to translate or not to translate, and there are interactive
> (a la query-replace) and noninteractive (for use as an export hook)
> versions.

  This is the usual gettext approach, which centralizes translations in a file (or table). When you change the original, your strings won't be found and you must update the translation table.
  I prefer the approach of having a phrase's translations together, so that you when you make a change you can update the translations from the same place.
  An overlay system in Emacs could show only „the current language“ and hide the others, then with some keys you could cycle through languages.
  I think this is something that can be done at an Emacs level (since it's for any text file), and org can simply use it.