emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-05 10:10 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2010-06-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Just though I'd point out the NanoNote a $99 Linux Palmtop, that
should run Emacs.

"The 本 version of NanoNote is an ultra small form factor computing
device. The device sports a 336 MHz processor, 2GB of flash memory,
microSD slot, head phone jack, USB device and 850mAh Li-ion battery.
It boots Linux out of the box and also boots over USB. It’s targeted
squarely at developers who see the promise of open hardware and want
to roll their own end user experience. It’s the perfect companion for
open content; we envision developers turning the device into a music
or video player for Ogg or an offline Wikipedia or MIT OpenCourseWare
appliance. Or you can simply amaze your friends by creating an ultra
small handheld notebook computer. You choose the distribution. The 本
Nanonote is the first in a line of products that will see the addition
of other hardware capabilities. Get your NanoNote and start a
Nanoproject today. Or join one of the existing projects in our
developer community."

http://sharism.cc/gallery/?bwbps_page_1=1

Planning on getting one to see...

Tim.

* Re: For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-05 12:12 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-06-05 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

Looks very cool, especially at the price.  But the spacebar.  Yikes
it's small.

At least it has all the meta-keys and TAB, which make it nicer than
most other pocket keyboards for running Emacs.

Do report.

Scot

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Tim O'Callaghan
<tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just though I'd point out the NanoNote a $99 Linux Palmtop, that
> should run Emacs.
>
> "The 本 version of NanoNote is an ultra small form factor computing
> device. The device sports a 336 MHz processor, 2GB of flash memory,
> microSD slot, head phone jack, USB device and 850mAh Li-ion battery.
> It boots Linux out of the box and also boots over USB. It’s targeted
> squarely at developers who see the promise of open hardware and want
> to roll their own end user experience. It’s the perfect companion for
> open content; we envision developers turning the device into a music
> or video player for Ogg or an offline Wikipedia or MIT OpenCourseWare
> appliance. Or you can simply amaze your friends by creating an ultra
> small handheld notebook computer. You choose the distribution. The 本
> Nanonote is the first in a line of products that will see the addition
> of other hardware capabilities. Get your NanoNote and start a
> Nanoproject today. Or join one of the existing projects in our
> developer community."
>
> http://sharism.cc/gallery/?bwbps_page_1=1
>
> Planning on getting one to see...
>
> Tim.

* Re: For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-05 13:11 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-06-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> Just though I'd point out the NanoNote a $99 Linux Palmtop, that
> should run Emacs.

Out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who has ported Emacs for use on
the device? Last I heard, the NanoNote ran OpenWrt, which AFAICT has no
Emacs package.

From the wiki:

,----
|  editor
|
|     * vim
|     * joe
|     * zile like emacs.
`----

http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_Software_Status

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-05 15:38   ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-06-05 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:11:51 -0400
Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> "Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Just though I'd point out the NanoNote a $99 Linux Palmtop, that
> > should run Emacs.
>
> Out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who has ported Emacs for use on
> the device? Last I heard, the NanoNote ran OpenWrt, which AFAICT has no
> Emacs package.

Looks like a complete debian would work, and emacs explicitly mentioned.
http://unethicalblogger.com/aggregator

detlef

> From the wiki:
>
> ,----
> |  editor
> |
> |     * vim
> |     * joe
> |     * zile like emacs.
> `----
>
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote_Software_Status
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

* Re: For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-08  4:14 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2010-06-08  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

I would be careful about that.
The price is nice but the question is how well the hardware works with a
real open standard linux system.
I have an zaurus from sharp, which comes close to the nanonote. However,
if I not go to use one of the heavy patched 2.4 kernels from sharp,
suspend and resume is not working and the device hangs up.
That makes it rather useless since I don't want to power on and shutdown
the device to add a note to org-mode and the 2.4 linux branch from sharp
does not contain emacs.
Furtermore, I own a ebook-reader from a chinese manufacture and looking
at the linux OS showed me that they really mess up many many things to
bend it to working. Guess they are not really taking care of standards
or of further user-based upgrades.

Thus, my suggestion please find out how well the hardware runs on
GNU/Linux standard kernels and distributions (e.g., debian). If you know
please report :D

Just my experience from some own "org-mode on the go" experiments.

Bye
Totti

* Re: For Org-mode on the go?
@ 2010-06-09  3:37 Rustom Mody