emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07  9:59 PT
From: PT @ 2009-12-07  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2009-12-07 11:27 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-12-07 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM, PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> wrote:

@ 2009-12-07 13:18   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-12-07 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: PT, emacs-orgmode

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 17:24 ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2009-12-07 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> http://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

I voted, but dang we are ranked the lowest.

Enrico

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Texas A&M University

http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 18:49     ` Norbert Zeh
From: Norbert Zeh @ 2009-12-07 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien [2009.12.07 1418 +0100]:
> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Done!  Thanks for sharing.
>
> Done as well.

And the sad part is that Word and OneNote figure in this list at all.
The former sucks.  The latter is a good tool, but not for outlining.
IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.
Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
world.

Cheers,
Norbert

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 19:47       ` plutek-infinity
From: plutek-infinity @ 2009-12-07 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Norbert Zeh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:49:36 -0400
>From: Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca>
>
>IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
>prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.
>Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
>world.

yes... and, really, the word "computing" is entirely optional in your last sentence. the poll points to a much more generalized preference for style and ease-of-use over flexibility and engagement of the mind.

ugh.

cheers!

--
.pltk.

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 20:36         ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-12-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plutek-infinity; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On the upside, Lifehacker is much more mainstream than, say,
Sourceforge.  And to be in the top five is pretty impressive.  (And
lifehacker readers know that the actual polls are a bit of a joke.
They ask for 'the best' X, but it's not as if the voters have actually
tried each of the contenders.).

Anyway,  this is Emacs in a pretty public limelight.  I like it.

Scot

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:47 PM, plutek-infinity <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:49:36 -0400
>>From: Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca>
>>
>>IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
>>prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.
>>Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
>>world.
>
> yes... and, really, the word "computing" is entirely optional in your last sentence. the poll points to a much more generalized preference for style and ease-of-use over flexibility and engagement of the mind.
>
> ugh.
>
> cheers!
>
> --
> .pltk.

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 20:40 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-12-07 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

PT <spamfilteraccount@gmail.com> writes:

> http://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

which contains

"You work on Org-Mode in a command prompt-like window and do all your
editing and changes via the command line and keyboard shortcuts"

I thought that might brighten peoples' day. Command line. So that's,
like, writing stuff then?

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-07 23:31       ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2009-12-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> writes:

> IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
> prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.

I disagree; I don't think people prefer “flashy GUIs” as you say. That
may play a part, but I believe it's only a small part in comparison to a
much larger issue:

Rather, people (in general, and beyond adolescence) prefer to avoid any
option presented which might involve the effort of learning something
new.

That is, if presented with a choice between using Word (which they've
already gone through the pain of learning), or learning a whole new
program, most adults will assume that the easiest option is to stick
with Word, or whatever existing program they've already learned that
appears to promise the ability to address their immediate need.

There won't be an assessment of “extreme power, efficiency, and
flexibility”; they're not looking for any of those, even though an
outside observer might realise they can benefit from them.

There'll only be an assessment of the perceived effort of “use Word,
which I know and in a pinch I can call on my friend for help”, versus
the perceived effort of “learn this unknown-to-me program, which nobody
in my circle of friends has even heard of”. Note that *actual* required
effort isn't what counts: only *perceived* effort can play a part in
that decision.

Merely being technically better isn't enough to win over anyone who
isn't already interested in learning something new. The technically
better option must *also* be perceptibly easy to learn to the point of
being productive quickly, and must perceptibly have a decent support
community. Otherwise, it won't even get a second glance by most people.

> Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
> world.

When looked at from the above perspective, it's a state we don't have to
merely lament. We can *do* something about it; and the great part is we
don't have to change anything about Org mode itself to improve the
situation.

--
 \       “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death |
  `\     your right to say it.” —Evelyn Beatrice Hall, _The Friends of |

* Re: Org needs your vote
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-12-08  3:30 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2009-12-08  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> http://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools
Even the description of org-mode in this poll is simply wrong.... its not
command line !!!! ITS PLAIN TEXT !!!
That means even the author of the poll had not any idea of what he is writing
about...
What did he do? Goggled "org program" and took the first 5 hits ?!

This is pretty worseless...

However, I vote ;)

Greetings
Torsten

* Re: Org needs your vote
@ 2009-12-10 17:16           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-12-10 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:36 PM, Scot Becker wrote:

> On the upside, Lifehacker is much more mainstream than, say,
> Sourceforge.  And to be in the top five is pretty impressive.  (And
> lifehacker readers know that the actual polls are a bit of a joke.
> They ask for 'the best' X, but it's not as if the voters have actually
> tried each of the contenders.).

And, in the end, we end up 4th, beat omnioutliner, get nearly
the same number of votes as Word does.  Pretty strong
showing, I'd say!

Thanks for the votes!

- Carsten

> Anyway,  this is Emacs in a pretty public limelight.  I like it.
>
> Scot
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 7:47 PM, plutek-infinity
> <plutek@infinity.net> wrote:
>>> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:49:36 -0400
>>> From: Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca>
>>>
>>> IMO, the low rating of org-mode on this list shows that most people
>>> prefer flashy GUIs over extreme power, efficiency, and flexibility.
>>> Then again, that seems to be the general state in today's computing
>>> world.
>>
>> yes... and, really, the word "computing" is entirely optional in
>> your last sentence. the poll points to a much more generalized
>> preference for style and ease-of-use over flexibility and
>> engagement of the mind.
>>
>> ugh.
>>
>> cheers!
>>
>> --