emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Links to Thunderbird e-mail
@ 2008-11-03 17:41 Ed Hirgelt
From: Ed Hirgelt @ 2008-11-03 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of a way to link to Thunderbird email similar
to org-mac-message-get-link & org-mac-message-insert-link?

Thanks,
Ed

* Re: Links to Thunderbird e-mail
@ 2008-11-04 11:35 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-11-04 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know of a way to link to Thunderbird email similar
> to org-mac-message-get-link & org-mac-message-insert-link?

 From what I can find TB doesn't seem to provide any documented way to
access messages from another program, which is bad news as I would like
to do this too.

Ian.

* Links to Thunderbird e-mail
       [not found] <E1KxKdA-0002zf-Cm@box188.bluehost.com>
@ 2008-11-04 13:50 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-11-04 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been researching this off and on for a while.  The closest I have
found to a way to get at messages from outside is that Thunderbird is
supposed to be able to open imap URLs if given them from the command
line.  However, at least for now, I have not figured out how to throw
one of those URLs at Thunderbird while it's running; at least on the
Mac, instead of trying to open a new window, it tries to start a whole
new process, and then refuses to proceed.

I suspect that this can only be solved by writing some sort of extension
that will open a socket for messages.  I'm afraid my understanding of
the Thunderbird object model and Mozilla extensions isnt' really up to
the task right now.

Best,

* Re: Links to Thunderbird e-mail
@ 2008-11-04 19:34 David A. Gershman
From: David A. Gershman @ 2008-11-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's not exactly what you want, but rather a hack you may find useful.
"Hypermail" is a program to take a mail file and convert it to HTML.
Once done, you can link to the URL.  For it to be really useful, I'd
recommend putting the hypermail command into a cronjob.

For more info:

      http://www.hypermail-project.org/

> > Does anyone know of a way to link to Thunderbird email similar
> > to org-mac-message-get-link & org-mac-message-insert-link?
> >
>  From what I can find TB doesn't seem to provide any documented way to
> access messages from another program, which is bad news as I would like
> to do this too.
>
> Ian.

---------------
David A. Gershman
gershman@dagertech.net
http://dagertech.net/gershman/
"It's all about the path!" --d. gershman

* Re: Links to Thunderbird e-mail
@ 2008-11-05  5:55   ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2008-11-05  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> wrote:
> I have been researching this off and on for a while.

Me, too :). Does anybody know of a way to perform the task in another
MUA with the capabilities similar to Thunderbird, like Evolution or
Kmail?

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev