emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* MacOSX: Notifications with Growl
@ 2008-11-03 15:49 Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2008-11-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all

I wrote small note about show notifications with Growl under Mac OS X.
This could be useful when using org-mode.  Note is could be found on my site
http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/EmacsMacOSXAndGrowl.html

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/           http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/

* Re: MacOSX: Notifications with Growl
@ 2008-11-03 17:22 ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2008-11-03 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 04:49:24PM +0100, Alex Ott wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I wrote small note about show notifications with Growl under Mac OS X.
> This could be useful when using org-mode.  Note is could be found on my site
> http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/EmacsMacOSXAndGrowl.html

Nice. Was looking to add this to my Quicksilver suite of scripts

http://claviclaws.net/org

when I'm back from holiday. You've saved me a bit of effort!

Christopher

* Re: MacOSX: Notifications with Growl
@ 2008-11-07 11:25 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-11-07 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Ott; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Alex Ott wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I wrote small note about show notifications with Growl under Mac OS X.
> This could be useful when using org-mode.  Note is could be found on my site
> http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/en/writings/EmacsMacOSXAndGrowl.html

Thanks for this, this'll prove handy at work.  I took the liberty of
simplifying the elisp a little.  This version doesn't create a temporary
file, and instead uses a shell HEREDOC.

(defun output-to-growl (msg)
     (shell-command (format "osascript <<ENDSCRIPT
tell application \"GrowlHelperApp\"
      notify with name \"Emacs Notification\" title \"Emacs alert\" \
        description «data utxt%s» as Unicode text \
        application name \"Emacs\"
    end tell
ENDSCRIPT"  (osd-text-to-utf-16-hex msg))))

(defun osd-text-to-utf-16-hex (text)
   (let* ((utext (encode-coding-string text 'utf-16))
          (ltext (string-to-list utext)))
     (apply #'concat
      (mapcar (lambda (x) (format "%02x" x)) ltext))))

R.

* RE: MacOSX: Notifications with Growl
@ 2008-11-07 16:10   ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2008-11-07 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am chiming in a little late here, but...

Try out Todochiku, which is a notifications package I wrote for emacs:  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ToDoChiKu

It works with appt (and thus with org mode) and it is compatible across different notification programs (and OS).  It has a customization option todochiku-appts that will set up a growl notifier as your appt-display-function.

Enjoy.