emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Question/Poll
@ 2008-09-03 11:33 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-03 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?

Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
defined in the template settings?

I am considering to remove the interactive target selection entirely,
because it basically defeats the purpose of remember of filing a note
without any fuss.  I am willing to keep it if people are using it.

- Carsten

* Re: Question/Poll
@ 2008-09-03 11:53 ` Tassilo Horn
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-09-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

Hi Carsten,

> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?

No, I always save to org-default-notes-file and
org-remember-default-headline.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Question/Poll
@ 2008-09-03 12:01 ` Gijs Hillenius
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2008-09-03 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

On  3 Sep 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?

Yes, I do.

> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
> defined in the template settings?

Well, mostly. But sometimes I file it in a different file.org.

But <>Maybe I'm doing it wrong</randy newmann>

--
Some wise-guy stuck a cork in the bottle!
		-- Homer struggles to open a wine bottle,

* Re: Question/Poll
@ 2008-09-03 12:07 ` Clemence Magnien
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Clemence Magnien @ 2008-09-03 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hello,

> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?

I am using it, although not very frequently.
I have different org files corresponding to different projects,
with a Tasks header in each file, and I occasionally record my
notes in these headers rather than in my default template selection.

But maybe I should change the way I'm organized...

Cheers,
Clémence

* Re: Question/Poll
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 12:41 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-03 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

OK, enough votes to keep it.

Thanks.

- Carsten

On Sep 3, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
>
> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
> defined in the template settings?
>
> I am considering to remove the interactive target selection
> entirely, because it basically defeats the purpose of remember of
> filing a note without any fuss.  I am willing to keep it if people
> are using it.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Question/Poll
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 13:34 ` Bernt Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-09-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
>
> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
> defined in the template settings?
>
> I am considering to remove the interactive target selection entirely,
> because it basically defeats the purpose of remember of filing a note
> without any fuss.  I am willing to keep it if people are using it.

I file and save immediately to one of my template locations.  I then
refile as needed somewhere else (across files).

-Bernt

* Re: Question/Poll
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 20:15 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2008-09-03 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
>
> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
> defined in the template settings?

I was using it, until I went back through and tuned up my template
settings to provide the locations I was actually using.  I never used it
to file next actions and so forth directly to their projects -- they
always went to Inbox.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Question/Poll
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 21:37 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-09-03 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: org-mode list

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
>
> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location defined
> in the template settings?
>
> I am considering to remove the interactive target selection entirely,
> because it basically defeats the purpose of remember of filing a note
> without any fuss.  I am willing to keep it if people are using it.
>
> - Carsten

I wonder if this makes the remember templates so "slow" for me.
Starting the template it takes several seconds until I am able to write
any character. Is it because it scans and collects all possible targets?

I never use the interactice mode

Rainer

* Re: Question/Poll
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-09-03 21:37 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2008-09-03 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

@ 2008-09-04  6:53   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-04  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: org-mode list

On Sep 3, 2008, at 11:37 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
>> Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
>> defined in the template settings?
>> I am considering to remove the interactive target selection
>> entirely, because it basically defeats the purpose of remember of
>> filing a note without any fuss.  I am willing to keep it if people
>> are using it.
>> - Carsten
> I wonder if this makes the remember templates so "slow" for me.

Really?  Strange.

> Starting the template it takes several seconds until I am able to
> write any character. Is it because it scans and collects all
> possible targets?

No, that would only happen when you finish a remember note.

The only thing in the template creation that might be slow it creating
the global completion table for tags.  Do you have %g or %G in the
templates that are slow?  Are they all slow?

- Carsten

> I never use the interactice mode
>
> Rainer

* Re: Question/Poll
@ 2008-09-08  7:42   ` Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-09-08  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From: jmcbray@carcosa.net (Jason F. McBrayer)
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Question/Poll
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:15:36 -0400

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
> > is anyone using the interactive note target selection with remember?
> >
> > Or do you all (like me) always file the entries to the location
> > defined in the template settings?
>
> I was using it, until I went back through and tuned up my template
> settings to provide the locations I was actually using.  I never used it
> to file next actions and so forth directly to their projects -- they
> always went to Inbox.

I'm still using it, for some of my remember templates, and I have started all the templates by using it. I usually tend to find out somewhat later, that I actually file always the same template under the same heading, and at that point, I define it in the template settings. I'm in favour of keeping the feature.

Harri K.