emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* archival mirroring source headline structure?
@ 2008-06-02 16:35 Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-06-02 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just discovered `org-archive-save-context-info' - very nice!
especially the preservation of the outline path (olpath).  Though it
might be even nicer if archival could optionally auto-vivify outline
paths and archive sub-headings under them.  So if your source file
had:

    * PROJECT foo
    ** NEXT bar

and you archived 'bar', it would check in the archive file whether
'foo' already exists, if not create it, and then archive bar under it.
So after incrementally archiving many sub-items to do with a single
project you would have all the sub-items gathered under that headline
in the archive file.  Is this doable now, and if not would it be hard
to support?

Thanks!

* Re: archival mirroring source headline structure?
@ 2008-06-09  1:56 ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2008-06-09  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > I just discovered `org-archive-save-context-info' - very nice!
 > especially the preservation of the outline path (olpath).  Though it
 > might be even nicer if archival could optionally auto-vivify outline
 > paths and archive sub-headings under them.

org-agenda-archive-to-archive-sibling is not quite this, but is pretty
close. It piggybacks on and preserves the structure of the original
org file. It works very well for me, I personally think it should
probably be the default. --Man

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     |              Prof., C.S. Department
 Director, IMDEA-Software and CLIP Group |                T.U. of Madrid (UPM)
 http://www.cliplab.org/herme            | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)

* RE: archival mirroring source headline structure?
@ 2008-06-09  7:01 ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-09  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam,

I agree that this would be nice, but I believe it is almost impossible
to make this stable.  Because the user is free to add to and change
the tree in the Org buffer, it is very easy to break this mechanism.
Also, the general case to puttin things into the correct place in the
archive is very complex.  This best and only way to keep the structure
of a tree in tact for the archive it to use in-place archiving (with
the ARCHIVE tag) or maybe the archive sibling.  And only move the
entire tree to an archive file when averything is done.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-09 11:52   ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-06-09 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 09:01:22AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I agree that this would be nice, but I believe it is almost impossible
> to make this stable.  Because the user is free to add to and change
> the tree in the Org buffer, it is very easy to break this mechanism.

If I understand you correctly, I don't actually view this as breakage.
If I have

* A
** B
** C

and I archive B, then rename A to D, then archive C, my archive file
becomes:

* A
** B
* D
** C

which is exactly what I want.  Likewise if I were to relocate A to a
different level rather than rename it.  Am I missing something?

I'll try `org-agenda-archive-to-archive-sibling' as suggested by
Manuel.  Incidentally I notice that this function appears to be
undocumented.

Thanks both!

* RE: archival mirroring source headline structure?
@ 2008-06-10  3:28     ` Dominik, C.
From: Dominik, C. @ 2008-06-10  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Adam, I mean more complex possibilities, like

* A
** B
*** C
*** D

Archive C, do more work, then archive A.  The possibilities are endless, it seems to me.

- Carsten

@ 2008-06-10 10:00       ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-06-10 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 05:28:04AM +0200, Dominik, C. wrote:
> Hi Adam, I mean more complex possibilities, like
>
> * A
> ** B
> *** C
> *** D
>
> Archive C, do more work, then archive A.  The possibilities are endless, it seems to me.

With auto-vivification I don't see a problem here.  Archiving C would
automatically create ancestors A and B if they didn't already exist.
Then archiving A later would simply merge the two trees together in
the archive and remove it from the source file.