emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* org-refile hack to show headings
@ 2007-11-30  1:22 John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2007-11-30  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I really the heading refile system developed first by Max Mikhanosha
and then adapted/adopted by Carsten in org 5.14. However, I found it
difficult sometimes to remember the particular heading to which I
wanted to move the new item -- the auto-complete is helpful, but only
if I can remember just how a heading starts. I have a simple (and
probably inelegant) hack that works well enough for me, and I thought
others might be interested in it as well.

In my set-up my projects are 2d-level headings; this simply shows the
2d-level headings in a buffer and then calls org-refile. If others who
know lisp think this is worth doing, I suspect they can show us a much
better way to do it. But I thought that for once I'd propose a way to
do something rather than simply asking for yet another feature.

******
(defun org-show-headings-for-refile ()
  (interactive)
  (hide-sublevels 2)
  (show-entry)
  (org-refile))
******

--
John Rakestraw

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-refile hack to show headings
@ 2007-12-01  6:40 ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2007-12-01  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:22:53 -0500,
John Rakestraw wrote:

> and then adapted/adopted by Carsten in org 5.14. However, I found it
> difficult sometimes to remember the particular heading to which I
> wanted to move the new item -- the auto-complete is helpful, but only
> if I can remember just how a heading starts. I have a simple (and

Glad you liked my setup. I can't help but recommend using
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles library.

In case you never heard of it, icicles is to TAB completion what TAB
completion is to typing things manually every time. In my setup (I
think this is a default too) TAB does the prefix completion (like
Emacs), but Shift-Tab matches the regexp.

So when refiling Emacs related entries all I have to do is type is
ema<S-TAB> and it completes it to "Using Org-mode in Emacs".

Regards,
  Max

* RE: org-refile hack to show headings
@ 2007-12-02 16:42   ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2007-12-02 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Max Mikhanosha wrote:
> Glad you liked my setup. I can't help but recommend using
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles library.
>
> In case you never heard of it, icicles is to TAB completion what TAB
> completion is to typing things manually every time. In my setup (I
> think this is a default too) TAB does the prefix completion (like
> Emacs), but Shift-Tab matches the regexp.

I'm still quite new to Org-mode (and Emacs too), so forgive me if this
is a dumb question: How do you cope with the clash of binding with S-TAB
which Org-mode uses in visibility cycling and table cell navigation?
Have you simply rebound one or the other, or is there a more subtle
workaround?

--
Chris Randle

* Re: org-refile hack to show headings
@ 2007-12-02 18:25     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-12-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/2/07, Chris Randle <chris@amlog.co.uk> wrote:
> Max Mikhanosha wrote:
> > Glad you liked my setup. I can't help but recommend using
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles library.
> >
> > In case you never heard of it, icicles is to TAB completion what TAB
> > completion is to typing things manually every time. In my setup (I
> > think this is a default too) TAB does the prefix completion (like
> > Emacs), but Shift-Tab matches the regexp.
>
> I'm still quite new to Org-mode (and Emacs too), so forgive me if this
> is a dumb question: How do you cope with the clash of binding with S-TAB
> which Org-mode uses in visibility cycling and table cell navigation?
> Have you simply rebound one or the other, or is there a more subtle
> workaround?

Org-mode has many keys that behave different in different locations.
TAB and S-TAB have special meanings in tables.  If you want to use
the local visibility cycling of TAB, the cursor must be on a headline.
If you want to use the global visibility cycling of S-TAB, the cursor
must be outside a table.

- Carsten