emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* [feature-suggestion] Lock region
@ 2009-11-10 19:47 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello list,

It would be great if we could "lock a region" of text in an org-mode buffer,
meaning it gets read-only, and inside it you can't modify anything besides
applying org commands such as expanding/retracting/sparse tree etc. I'm
suggesting this because I have a section on the top of my gtd file that has
an introduction to the system, link to related files etc, and often I find
myself accidentally writing characters or inserting line breaks and other
things. Not essential, but a nice-to-have feature.

Thanks,

Marcelo.

* Re: [feature-suggestion] Lock region
@ 2009-11-12 10:14 ` Renzo Been :-)
From: Renzo Been :-) @ 2009-11-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list,It would be great if we could "lock a region" of text in an
org-mode buffer, meaning it gets read-only, and inside it you can't modify
anything besides applying org commands such as expanding/retracting/sparse tree
etc. I'm suggesting this because I have a section on the top of my gtd file that
has an introduction to the system, link to related files etc, and often I find
myself accidentally writing characters or inserting line breaks and other
things. Not essential, but a nice-to-have feature.Thanks,Marcelo.

Hi Marcelo,

Maybe an idea. To prevent accidental changes to your introduction text.

You could try and put the introduction into a separate org-file and then include
it into your gtd org-file using:

#+include foo.org

Hope this helps,
Renzo

* Re: Re: [feature-suggestion] Lock region
@ 2009-11-12 17:27   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-12 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been :-); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Renzo, thanks for the reply.

Isn't the include feature meant only for exporting? I mean, will the file
get included in the org buffer or is it going to be included only when
exporting the org file?

Thanks,

Marcelo.

@ 2009-11-13  9:09     ` Renzo Been :-)
From: Renzo Been :-) @ 2009-11-13  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Renzo, thanks for the reply.Isn't the include feature meant only for
exporting? I mean, will the file get included in the org buffer or is it going
to be included only when exporting the org file?Thanks,Marcelo.

Yes, that is correct.

The file from the include feature will only be visible after exporting.

Sorry, maybe I've misunderstood your first mail...

Maybe you could use something like this?

#+include foo.org
#[[file:foo.org][Introduction]]

Then there would still be a way to view the text, via the link...

Ciao,

@ 2009-11-13 16:24       ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-11-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been :-); +Cc: emacs-orgmode