emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-25 17:27 Yang
From: Yang @ 2007-04-25 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, after searching for a long time for a simple bulleted outline
editor, I finally found what I was looking for in org-mode's support
for plain lists (thank you!). However, I had some questions to which I
couldn't find answers in the documentation.

How do you configure the indentation amount? When I hit M-<right>, the
list only gets bumped by a single space. Better yet, the indentation
amount would be auto-determined based on the width of the current
bullet type + the indentation between it and the text.

Is it possible to have Emacs/org-mode automatically re-wrap paragraphs
as I edit them? Auto-wrapping only seems to happen when I'm entering
text and the cursor hits the wrap margin; it doesn't happen when I'm
inserting/removing text in the middle of a line. However, I'm not sure
if this is a limitation of Emacs in general (I'd love to know how to
enable such auto-wrapping for general paragraph text). I realize I can
hit M-q, but it would be best if I needn't!

How might I customize the keys? (Sorry, I'm new to Emacs customization
- I'm not sure if this is not an org-mode question.) I'd love to have:

<tab> = M-<right>
S-<tab> = M-<left>
<ret> = M-<ret>

Thanks in advance!

* Re: Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-26  9:12 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-04-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yang wrote:

> Is it possible to have Emacs/org-mode automatically re-wrap paragraphs
> as I edit them? Auto-wrapping only seems to happen when I'm entering
> text and the cursor hits the wrap margin; it doesn't happen when I'm
> inserting/removing text in the middle of a line. However, I'm not sure
> if this is a limitation of Emacs in general (I'd love to know how to
> enable such auto-wrapping for general paragraph text). I realize I can
> hit M-q, but it would be best if I needn't!

This can be done with long-lines-mode:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/longlines.el

I don't use it myself so I couldn't tell you how well it works with
various modes, but a quick test sees that it appears to work with
org-mode, though you do risk it wrapping headlines etc.

R.

* Re: Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-26 12:33   ` Alan Dove
From: Alan Dove @ 2007-04-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey, folks:

I can attest that org-mode works with longlines.el, as long as you're
willing to tolerate an occasional bit of weirdness. For example,
inserting a deadline in a one-line TODO item will fuse that line to
the following line. I've just developed a series of simple
workarounds, like inserting an extra carriage return after the TODO
before inserting the deadline.

           --Alan

--
Alan Dove, Ph.D.
alan.dove@gmail.com

* Re: Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-26 16:27     ` Yang
From: Yang @ 2007-04-26 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just tried using longlines and for me it doesn't work well at all
with org-mode's outlining. The wrapping no longer does hanging
indents, and it thinks lines with hanging indents are separate
paragraphs.

To add to my other questions: is there a binding or command I can use
to change the current line's bullet type?

On 4/26/07, Alan Dove alan-at-dovdox.com |emacs-orgmode|
<...> wrote:
> Hey, folks:
>
> I can attest that org-mode works with longlines.el, as long as you're
> willing to tolerate an occasional bit of weirdness. For example,
> inserting a deadline in a one-line TODO item will fuse that line to
> the following line. I've just developed a series of simple
> workarounds, like inserting an extra carriage return after the TODO
> before inserting the deadline.
>
>            --Alan
>
> --
> Alan Dove, Ph.D.
> alan.dove@.........
> 917.273.0544
> http://dovdox.com
> Gizmo or Skype: alandove

* Re: Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-26 16:55       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can also try

M-x refill-mode.

It has some problems with Org-mode, but it really refills paragraphs
instead of using long lines, so the hanging indents do work all right.

Since you only want it for bullet lists, you should be fine.

About the key bindings:

One way would be

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (define-key org-mode-map [(tab)] 'org-metaright)
     (define-key org-mode-map [(shift tab)] 'org-metaleft)))

I don't recommend to change RET.

- Carsten

- Carsten

On Apr 26, 2007, at 18:27, Yang wrote:

> I just tried using longlines and for me it doesn't work well at all
> with org-mode's outlining. The wrapping no longer does hanging
> indents, and it thinks lines with hanging indents are separate
> paragraphs.
>
> To add to my other questions: is there a binding or command I can use
> to change the current line's bullet type?
>
> On 4/26/07, Alan Dove alan-at-dovdox.com |emacs-orgmode|
> <...> wrote:
>> Hey, folks:
>>
>> I can attest that org-mode works with longlines.el, as long as you're
>> willing to tolerate an occasional bit of weirdness. For example,
>> inserting a deadline in a one-line TODO item will fuse that line to
>> the following line. I've just developed a series of simple
>> workarounds, like inserting an extra carriage return after the TODO
>> before inserting the deadline.
>>
>>            --Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Dove, Ph.D.
>> alan.dove@.........
>> 917.273.0544
>> http://dovdox.com
>> Gizmo or Skype: alandove

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Outlining facilities
@ 2007-04-26 22:26         ` Yang
From: Yang @ 2007-04-26 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On 4/26/07, Carsten Dominik dominik-at-science.uva.nl |emacs-orgmode|
<...> wrote:
> You can also try
>
> M-x refill-mode.
>
> It has some problems with Org-mode, but it really refills paragraphs
> instead of using long lines, so the hanging indents do work all right.
>
> Since you only want it for bullet lists, you should be fine.

Thanks, this seems to work.

> About the key bindings:
>
> One way would be
>
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>    (lambda ()
>      (define-key org-mode-map [(tab)] 'org-metaright)
>      (define-key org-mode-map [(shift tab)] 'org-metaleft)))

I added this, but it doesn't seem to be working....

Yang