emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* contributing Debian build scripts
@ 2010-06-21 17:50 Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-21 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After maintaining a ppa for org-mode for some time, I'd like to
contribute the build so that the community can help keep them up to
date.

More up-to-date than I've been able to do, surely :)

Should I just submit patches to the list? (I have papers on file with
the FSF if that makes any difference.)

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

Embrace Ignorance.  Just don't get too attached.

* Re: contributing Debian build scripts
@ 2010-06-23 10:26 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-23 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Hershberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mark,

forst of all, thanks a lot for creating this package and
maintaining it for quite a while.

On Jun 21, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> After maintaining a ppa for org-mode for some time, I'd like to
> contribute the build so that the community can help keep them up to
> date.
>
> More up-to-date than I've been able to do, surely :)
>
> Should I just submit patches to the list? (I have papers on file with
> the FSF if that makes any difference.)

Can you please first elaborate what it would mean if we were to take
over the production of this package?  Where would we have to submit it
or put it up on the web so that it would be found as an official
package?  How does all of this work?

Thanks!

- Carsten

* Re: contributing Debian build scripts
@ 2010-06-23 17:21   ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Can you please first elaborate what it would mean if we were to take
> over the production of this package?

Mosty, when releases are made, it would mean adding a changelog entry to
the debian/changelog file, re-building the source package and then using
dput to send the updates to Launchpad.net

> Where would we have to submit it or put it up on the web so that it
> would be found as an official package?

I think the best way would be for me to create a group on Launchpad and
then invite people to be a part of that group.  Anyone in the group
could submit packages to the package archive.

> How does all of this work?

The packaging scripts are kept in a debian subdirectory that can be in
the same repository as org-mode itself or (as I've been doing) in a
separate source repository.  I've been using bzr-builddeb to create the
packages since this allows me to maintain my packaging scripts
separately from the upstream source.

It looks like Launchpad has introduced support for automated daily
builds and build recipes
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DailyBuilds/BzrBuilder) since I last looked, so
the work involved is probably going to be less than what I've been doing.

After thinking about it a bit, I've created an Org-Mode group on
Launchpad and requested an import of the Org-Mode git archive into a
launchpad repository there so that it can be used in build recipies.

I've also pushed my build scripts to that group so anyone who joins can
contribute.

So, next steps are: set up a daily build.

Anyone interested in contributing is welcome to join:

    http://launchpad.net/~org-mode/

Mark.

--

@ 2010-06-24  6:20     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-24  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Hershberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 23, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can you please first elaborate what it would mean if we were to take
>> over the production of this package?
>
> Mosty, when releases are made, it would mean adding a changelog
> entry to
> the debian/changelog file, re-building the source package and then
> using
> dput to send the updates to Launchpad.net
>
>> Where would we have to submit it or put it up on the web so that it
>> would be found as an official package?
>
> I think the best way would be for me to create a group on Launchpad
> and
> then invite people to be a part of that group.  Anyone in the group
> could submit packages to the package archive.
>
>> How does all of this work?
>
> The packaging scripts are kept in a debian subdirectory that can be in
> the same repository as org-mode itself or (as I've been doing) in a
> separate source repository.  I've been using bzr-builddeb to create
> the
> packages since this allows me to maintain my packaging scripts
> separately from the upstream source.
>
> It looks like Launchpad has introduced support for automated daily
> builds and build recipes
> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DailyBuilds/BzrBuilder) since I last
> looked, so
> the work involved is probably going to be less than what I've been
> doing.
>
> After thinking about it a bit, I've created an Org-Mode group on
> Launchpad and requested an import of the Org-Mode git archive into a
> launchpad repository there so that it can be used in build recipies.
>
> I've also pushed my build scripts to that group so anyone who joins
> can
> contribute.
>
> So, next steps are: set up a daily build.
>
> Anyone interested in contributing is welcome to join:
>
>    http://launchpad.net/~org-mode/
>
> Mark.

Hi Mark, thanks!

If I understand correctly, there is no action I need to take, right?

- Carsten

* Re: contributing Debian build scripts
@ 2010-06-24 15:49       ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2010-06-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> If I understand correctly, there is no action I need to take, right?

Right.  Looks like Launchpad is gonna be able to take care of most of
this.

--

@ 2010-06-24 17:56         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark A. Hershberger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 24, 2010, at 5:49 PM, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If I understand correctly, there is no action I need to take, right?
>
> Right.  Looks like Launchpad is gonna be able to take care of most of
> this.

Great, thanks.

- Carsten