emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Exporting math code containing a cases environment to LaTeX
@ 2016-03-12 17:49 Francesco Turco
From: Francesco Turco @ 2016-03-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Why the following piece of Org Mode document doesn't display correctly
when exported to a PDF document via LaTeX?

  \[n!=
  \begin{cases}
    1 & n=0 \\
    n(n-1)! & n\ge 1 \\
  \end{cases}
  \]

It is displayed at the left instead of center of the document.
Moreover the \[ and \] symbols are not removed in the final document.

I can fix the problem by replacing \[ and \] with \begin{displaymath}
end \end{displaymath} respectively:

  \begin{displaymath}
  n!=
  \begin{cases}
    1 & n=0 \\
    n(n-1)! & n\ge 1 \\
  \end{cases}
  \end{displaymath}

Is this the best way to fix the problem? Am I missing a better solution?

* Re: Exporting math code containing a cases environment to LaTeX
@ 2016-03-12 18:16 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-03-12 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Turco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 18:49, Francesco Turco wrote:
> I can fix the problem by replacing \[ and \] with \begin{displaymath}
> end \end{displaymath} respectively:
>
>   \begin{displaymath}
>   n!=
>   \begin{cases}
>     1 & n=0 \\
>     n(n-1)! & n\ge 1 \\
>   \end{cases}
>   \end{displaymath}
>
> Is this the best way to fix the problem? Am I missing a better solution?

The \[ ... \] construct is only valid, in org, if on a single
line.  Your solution is perfectly valid although, in practice, I would
use equation* instead of displaymath.

Alternatively, you can enclose it all in a export block, as in

#+begin_export latex
\[
\]
#+end_export

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.91.1, Org release_8.3.4-626-gb62d55

* Re: Exporting math code containing a cases environment to LaTeX
@ 2016-03-12 18:33   ` Francesco Turco
From: Francesco Turco @ 2016-03-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016, at 19:16, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Alternatively, you can enclose it all in a export block, as in
>
> #+begin_export latex
> \[
> \]
> #+end_export

The following code doesn't work:

#+begin_export latex
\[
n!=
\begin{cases}
  1 & n=0 \\
  n(n-1)! & n\ge 1 \\
\end{cases}
\]
#+end_export

Because of the following error message:

> ! LaTeX Error: Environment export undefined.

But I can use #+begin_latex and #+end_latex instead.

I read the former syntax is new and will be released with Org Mode 9.0.
Is that true?

See https://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg102960.html

* Re: Exporting math code containing a cases environment to LaTeX
@ 2016-03-13  8:13     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-03-13  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Turco; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday, 12 Mar 2016 at 19:33, Francesco Turco wrote:

[...]

> But I can use #+begin_latex and #+end_latex instead.
>
> I read the former syntax is new and will be released with Org Mode 9.0.
> Is that true?

Yes, indeed.  I forgot to ask what version of org you were using!

I'm glad the old format works for you.

* Re: Exporting math code containing a cases environment to LaTeX
@ 2016-03-13  9:35       ` Francesco Turco
From: Francesco Turco @ 2016-03-13  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016, at 09:13, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Yes, indeed.  I forgot to ask what version of org you were using!
>
> I'm glad the old format works for you.

I forgot to thank you for the help! :)