emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* How to "snooze" a repeating item
       [not found] <DICKENSyt3cew8k69RK00000b40@dickens.campus.up.edu>
@ 2009-12-01 22:34 ` Andrew M. Nuxoll
From: Andrew M. Nuxoll @ 2009-12-01 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been using org-mode for four months now and I just love it.  So I
think I'm post-newb but still very amateur.

Anyway, my to-do list has several repeating scheduled items like this
contrived example:

***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
      SCHEDULED: <2009-12-08 Tue +1w>

Or, in English, I meet with Sarah for lunch once a week on Tuesdays.

Now, let's say that Sarah calls on Monday afternoon and says, "Can we do
lunch on Wednesday this week?" and I say "Sure thing."

Now I have a problem.  I could shift the date to Wednesday like this:

***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
      SCHEDULED: <2009-12-09 Wed +1w>

But that will mean that the following week it will *still* be scheduled
for Wednesdays (specifically Dec 16 instead of Dec 15).  I miss my
regular lunch date with Sarah and catch ire for standing her up.

How do I handle situations like this?

It seems like I either need a time stamp "stack" or I need a temporary
flag that "self destructs" after a prescribed time.

:AMN:

* Re: How to "snooze" a repeating item
@ 2009-12-01 22:58   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-12-01 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew M. Nuxoll; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Andrew M. Nuxoll" <nuxoll@up.edu> writes:

> I've been using org-mode for four months now and I just love it.  So I
> think I'm post-newb but still very amateur.
>
> Anyway, my to-do list has several repeating scheduled items like this
> contrived example:
>
> ***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
>      SCHEDULED: <2009-12-08 Tue +1w>
>
> Or, in English, I meet with Sarah for lunch once a week on Tuesdays.
>
> Now, let's say that Sarah calls on Monday afternoon and says, "Can we
> do lunch on Wednesday this week?" and I say "Sure thing."
>
> Now I have a problem.  I could shift the date to Wednesday like this:
>
> ***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
>      SCHEDULED: <2009-12-09 Wed +1w>
>
> But that will mean that the following week it will *still* be
> scheduled for Wednesdays (specifically Dec 16 instead of Dec 15).  I
> miss my regular lunch date with Sarah and catch ire for standing her
> up.
>
> How do I handle situations like this?
>
> It seems like I either need a time stamp "stack" or I need a temporary
> flag that "self destructs" after a prescribed time.
>
> :AMN:

I would probably clone the entry once and set it for Wednesday and let
the weekly repeater continue for next Tuesday.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: How to "snooze" a repeating item
@ 2009-12-01 23:09   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-12-01 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew M. Nuxoll; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Andrew M. Nuxoll <nuxoll@up.edu> wrote:

> I've been using org-mode for four months now and I just love it.  So I
> think I'm post-newb but still very amateur.
>
> Anyway, my to-do list has several repeating scheduled items like this
> contrived example:
>
> ***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
>       SCHEDULED: <2009-12-08 Tue +1w>
>
> Or, in English, I meet with Sarah for lunch once a week on Tuesdays.
>
> Now, let's say that Sarah calls on Monday afternoon and says, "Can we do
> lunch on Wednesday this week?" and I say "Sure thing."
>
> Now I have a problem.  I could shift the date to Wednesday like this:
>
> ***** TODO [#B] Lunch date with Sarah at 12pm
>       SCHEDULED: <2009-12-09 Wed +1w>
>
> But that will mean that the following week it will *still* be scheduled
> for Wednesdays (specifically Dec 16 instead of Dec 15).  I miss my
> regular lunch date with Sarah and catch ire for standing her up.
>
> How do I handle situations like this?
>
> It seems like I either need a time stamp "stack" or I need a temporary
> flag that "self destructs" after a prescribed time.
>
> :AMN:

If you are looking for an exclusively org solution, this won't satisfy.
But here's how I would do it:

o go to the agenda, move to the item and press <RET> to visit it.

o copy/paste the subtree (C-c C-x M-w and C-c C-x C-y).

o In one copy, advance the date by a week (to skip tomorrow's reminder).

o In the other, advance the date to Wed and delete the repeater.

HTH,
Nick

PS. To paraphrase Bernt: "Repeat after me: It's just text."
    Every time I start thinking of all kinds of Rube-Goldbergesque
    solutions to simple problems, I whack myself on the head with
    Bernt's reminder and my sanity is restored !-)

* Re: How to "snooze" a repeating item
@ 2009-12-02  0:04     ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-12-02  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Andrew M. Nuxoll, emacs-orgmode

That's what I would do too. Also, I suggest making this entry an "habit" with
org-habit to see if you like it.

@ 2009-12-02  1:09     ` Andrew M. Nuxoll
From: Andrew M. Nuxoll @ 2009-12-02  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen, Emacs-orgmode

This is what I have been doing...but it's not very elegant and
potentially confusing when I encounter it later.  It also throws off my
time management numbers.

Can anyone supply a better solution?

:AMN:

@ 2010-01-17 15:26   ` Luke Amdor
From: Luke Amdor @ 2010-01-17 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew M. Nuxoll; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

i've been using the org-agenda-date-later function to schedule things later.
I think it's what you're looking for. It's not bound to anything, but I bind
it to ")" via

(org-defkey org-agenda-mode-map ")" 'org-agenda-date-later)

Luke

@ 2010-01-17 16:24     ` Nuxoll, Andrew
From: Nuxoll, Andrew @ 2010-01-17 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Amdor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Luke but I don't think that works.  I want a command that will move the event forward a day but still keep the repeat at a set interval from the original day.  It's still something I find I need to do frequently but have no way to do other than manually. =(