emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* mailto:abc@xyz.org
@ 2010-06-04 18:22 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-06-04 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings!

Thanks first of all to all the contributors to org-mode.

I suppose that it is possible to set up org-mode so that if I click or
press C-c C-o on a "mailto:abc@xyz.org" a gnus compose window will be
created.  I tried finding how to do so using Google, but could not
find it.

This the error message;

Symbol's value as variable is void: warning-suppress-types

Placing [[ ]] around the link does not make a difference.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Henri-Paul Indiogine

Curriculum & Instruction
Texas A&M University

Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine
Website: http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

"Rien ne va de soi.  Rien n'est donné. Tous est construit."   Gaston
Bachelard, 1934

* Re: mailto:abc@xyz.org
@ 2010-06-05  0:43 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-06-05  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:
> Greetings!
>
> Thanks first of all to all the contributors to org-mode.
>
> I suppose that it is possible to set up org-mode so that if I click or
> press C-c C-o on a "mailto:abc@xyz.org" a gnus compose window will be
> created.

Yes.

> created.  I tried finding how to do so using Google, but could not
> find it.

M-x customize-variable RET org-link-mailto-program RET

and set it to

     `compose-mail'

  Sebastian

* Re: mailto:abc@xyz.org
@ 2010-06-05  3:51   ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-06-05  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian!

2010/6/4 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:
> M-x customize-variable RET org-link-mailto-program RET
>
> and set it to
>
>     `compose-mail'

Actually, this variable was set to compose-mail.  This will give me
that error message.

--

@ 2010-06-05  4:11     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-05  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian!
>
> 2010/6/4 Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>:
> > M-x customize-variable RET org-link-mailto-program RET
> >
> > and set it to
> >
> >     `compose-mail'
>
> Actually, this variable was set to compose-mail.  This will give me
> that error message.

Try

        (setq org-link-mailto-program '(compose-mail "%a" "%s"))

The doc says:

,----
| Function and arguments to call for following mailto links.
| This is a list with the first element being a lisp function, and the
| remaining elements being arguments to the function.  In string arguments,
| %a will be replaced by the address, and %s will be replaced by the subject
| if one was given like in <mailto:arthur@galaxy.org::this subject>.
`----

HTH,
Nick

* Re: mailto:abc@xyz.org
@ 2010-06-05  4:32       ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-06-05  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

Hi Nick & Sebastian!

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>         (setq org-link-mailto-program '(compose-mail "%a" "%s"))

Thanks, this works.  However, probably because I use the latest Ubuntu
Emacs snapshot (v. 24.0.50.1) it gives me a message that now the default
is message-mail.  So, using message-mail instead of compose-mail removes
the error message and all is fine.

Thanks for your kind help and making org-mode + gnus a wonderful
combination.

Henri-Paul Indiogine

@ 2010-06-05  4:46         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-06-05  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hindiogine; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-org

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick & Sebastian!
>
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
> >         (setq org-link-mailto-program '(compose-mail "%a" "%s"))
>
> Thanks, this works.  However, probably because I use the latest Ubuntu
> Emacs snapshot (v. 24.0.50.1) it gives me a message that now the default
> is message-mail.  So, using message-mail instead of compose-mail removes
> the error message and all is fine.

I'm not sure what you are saying here (e.g. which "it" gives you the
message about the message-mail default?). However, if you look at the
doc for compose-mail and message-mail, you'll see that compose-mail is a
generic interface to a bunch of different mail composition packages
(including message-mail): you steer it by setting the value of the
variable mail-user-agent. For example, the above setting of
org-link-mailto-program together with

         (setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

is equivalent to

         (setq org-link-mailto-program '(message-mail "%a" "%s"))

HTH,
Nick