emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* insert a remember template at point
@ 2010-05-29 22:04 Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-05-29 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

How can I insert a remember template at point?

Until now I had identical remember templates and yasnippets.
This is only a workaround and I would prefer to be able to insert a remember template at point since I have found it to have features I could not reproduce.

Greetings from Austria,
Eraldo

* Re: insert a remember template at point
@ 2010-05-29 23:05 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-05-29 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 30 May 2010 00:04:08 +0200, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> How can I insert a remember template at point?
>
> Until now I had identical remember templates and yasnippets. This is
> only a workaround and I would prefer to be able to insert a remember
> template at point since I have found it to have features I could not
> reproduce.

I had this problem about a year ago. The trick is to insert a function
that returns the strings you need.

For example this is the function I used.

(defun org-csa () ;this strange function only *returns* the desired
;text, not inserts to the buffer.
"   :PROPERTIES:
       :ORDERED: t
    :END:
*** TODO   [[ooo:\"CSA Template.ott\" &][fill out template form]]
*** TODO   [[shell:claws-mail pm@example.com.au &][submit for approval/
fixes]]
*** TODO   save to text
*** TODO   [[shell:claws-mail dr@example.com][send it to Darren]]")

Then you make your remember template call this function.
Like this:

("CSA" ?C "* TODO %^{topic}  [/]  %^g\n %t\n %(org-csa) \n %&" "~/.org/
CSA.org" bottom)

Cheers

Shelagh

@ 2010-05-29 23:24 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-05-29 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 30 May 2010 00:04:08 +0200, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> How can I insert a remember template at point?
>
> Until now I had identical remember templates and yasnippets. This is
> only a workaround and I would prefer to be able to insert a remember
> template at point since I have found it to have features I could not
> reproduce.
>
> Greetings from Austria,
> Eraldo

Actually now ai read your post again more carefully, I think my last post
is not really what you are after.

Shelagh

* Re: insert a remember template at point
@ 2010-06-01  7:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-01  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On May 30, 2010, at 12:04 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> How can I insert a remember template at point?
>
> Until now I had identical remember templates and yasnippets.
> This is only a workaround and I would prefer to be able to insert a
> remember template at point since I have found it to have features I
> could not reproduce.

Hi Eraldo,

currently there is no easy way to do this.

One way to hack it would be to write a function that temporarily
modifies to make
all remember templates point to the current location.

So something like (untested)

(defun my-remember-here ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((file buffer-file-name)
	(heading (org-get-heading 'no-tags))
	(org-remember-templates
	 (mapcar (lambda (x) (list (nth 0 x) (nth 1 x) (nth 2 x) file heading))
		 org-remember-templates)))
     (call-interatively 'org-remember)))

- Carsten

* Re: insert a remember template at point
@ 2010-06-01 23:47   ` Eraldo Helal
From: Eraldo Helal @ 2010-06-01 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-Mode

> currently there is no easy way to do this.
While I have hoped to hear the opposite, it's good to know the truth. :)

> One way to hack it would be to write a function that temporarily
> modifies to make
> all remember templates point to the current location.
I am again baffled how fast you get from request to code. ^^
I will definitely try out the function you posted.
Thanks a lot for that.
I will give feedback on it soon.

Is there anything else I can do (besides speeding up projects like
learning lisp) to make that feature part of remember?
That would go in org-remember if I understand that correctly.

@ 2010-06-02  6:49     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-06-02  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eraldo Helal; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:47 AM, Eraldo Helal wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> currently there is no easy way to do this.
> While I have hoped to hear the opposite, it's good to know the
> truth. :)
>
>> One way to hack it would be to write a function that temporarily
>> modifies to make
>> all remember templates point to the current location.
> I am again baffled how fast you get from request to code. ^^
> I will definitely try out the function you posted.
> Thanks a lot for that.
> I will give feedback on it soon.
>
> Is there anything else I can do (besides speeding up projects like
> learning lisp) to make that feature part of remember?
> That would go in org-remember if I understand that correctly.

I still have plans for rewriting the entire remember stuff.
This will be one of the features - if that ever happens... :)

- Carsten