emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
* Org mode and Collaboration with others.
@ 2009-12-01 14:25 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-12-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi org (ab)users

This is a kind of follow up to an earlier thread, because i think
there is some value in kicking off a discussion.

I have suspicions that org-mode is essentially a solitary habit. I've
done a quick search in the manual or FAQ about how you might share
your org habit with others, but nothing seems to exist.

So i thought I'd ask the users how they spread their org around. I'm
looking for ideas that are not the "fire and forget" publishing of
your org todo's method. I mean a method that you can meaningfully
involve others, even if the involvement is synced through an external
collaboration tool.

Anyone?

Tim.

* Re: Org mode and Collaboration with others.
@ 2009-12-03 11:38 ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-12-03 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi org (ab)users
>
> This is a kind of follow up to an earlier thread, because i think
> there is some value in kicking off a discussion.
>
> I have suspicions that org-mode is essentially a solitary habit. I've
> done a quick search in the manual or FAQ about how you might share
> your org habit with others, but nothing seems to exist.
>
> So i thought I'd ask the users how they spread their org around. I'm
> looking for ideas that are not the "fire and forget" publishing of
> your org todo's method. I mean a method that you can meaningfully
> involve others, even if the involvement is synced through an external
> collaboration tool.
>
> Anyone?
>
> Tim.

Hi Tim.
I don't think that at the moment org-mode can be more than solitary
habit.
The "problem" is that org-mode runs on emacs, and really a small
percentage of people can/want to use emacs.

If I ever will be able to work with emacs-(ab)users org-mode can be
really great to centralize documentation/agenda and everything we could
think of.

But to communicate with "normal" people the only way that I see is some
sort of program which understands org-files but don't let the user do
nasty things.

* Re: Re: Org mode and Collaboration with others.
@ 2009-12-03 18:27   ` Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2009-12-03 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 3,2009, at 3:38 AM, andrea wrote:

> I don't think that at the moment org-mode can be more than solitary
> habit. The "problem" is that org-mode runs on emacs, and really a
> small percentage of people can/want to use emacs.
>
> If I ever will be able to work with emacs-(ab)users org-mode can be
> really great to centralize documentation/agenda and everything we
> could think of.
>
> But to communicate with "normal" people the only way that I see is
> some sort of program which understands org-files but don't let the
> user do nasty things.

I'm not sure that emacs (ab)use is the right frame of reference here.
Shouldn't we be talking about interoperability standards here? Orgmode
supports the same core set of data that other todo list tools and
calendar tools support. In many cases, Orgmode can export cleanly, as
the OP suggested. In a few cases, it can import. Can that be taken
further? I just wanted to add my two cents for OM "playing well with
others" and I'm curious as to what people are trying.

-- Michael

Michael C. Gilbert -- mcg@gilbert.org

    The Gilbert Center -- http://gilbert.org
    Nonprofit Online News -- http://nonprofitnews.org

        "There can be no joy of life without joy of work." -- Aquinas

* Re: Org mode and Collaboration with others.
@ 2009-12-07 10:46     ` andrea
From: andrea @ 2009-12-07 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org> writes:

> On Dec 3,2009, at 3:38 AM, andrea wrote:
>
> I'm not sure that emacs (ab)use is the right frame of reference
> here. Shouldn't we be talking about interoperability standards here?
> Orgmode  supports the same core set of data that other todo list tools
> and  calendar tools support. In many cases, Orgmode can export
> cleanly, as  the OP suggested. In a few cases, it can import. Can that
> be taken  further? I just wanted to add my two cents for OM "playing
> well with  others" and I'm curious as to what people are trying.
>
> -- Michael

In theory you're right, exporting and publishing work really well.
But if you want to collaborate with other people in my opinion you can't
rely so much on importing/exporting.
You would spend too much time to merge and fix manually stuff.

I think that working with two products only (if the other one is a bit
smart) using some elisp magic you can really create a mixed environment
that works, but that's not a general solution.

For example for the calendar.
It would be nice to have a system where org-mode and $PROGRAM_X reads
and writes at the same time on a webdav shared calendar.