* Tag duplicate messages with notmuch insert
@ 2018-10-15  7:38 Thomas Schneider
From: Thomas Schneider @ 2018-10-15  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

From notmuch-insert(1):

> If the new message is a duplicate of an existing message in the
> database (it has same Message-ID), it will be added to the maildir
> folder and notmuch database, but the tags will not be changed.

It might however be desired to apply the new tags even when the message
is a duplicate.  How complicated would it be to implement this?

* Re: Tag duplicate messages with notmuch insert
@ 2018-10-15  9:42 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2018-10-15  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schneider, notmuch

Thomas Schneider <qsx@chaotikum.eu> writes:

> From notmuch-insert(1):
>
>> If the new message is a duplicate of an existing message in the
>> database (it has same Message-ID), it will be added to the maildir
>> folder and notmuch database, but the tags will not be changed.
>
> It might however be desired to apply the new tags even when the message
> is a duplicate.  How complicated would it be to implement this?

It doesn't look especially hard, assuming the obvious small change to
add_file() in notmuch-insert.c works. I didn't look at the equivalent
code path in notmuch-new.c. Presumably you'd want them both to behave
the same way.

* Re: Tag duplicate messages with notmuch insert
@ 2018-10-15  9:52   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2018-10-15  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Schneider, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Thomas Schneider <qsx@chaotikum.eu> writes:
>
>> From notmuch-insert(1):
>>
>>> If the new message is a duplicate of an existing message in the
>>> database (it has same Message-ID), it will be added to the maildir
>>> folder and notmuch database, but the tags will not be changed.
>>
>> It might however be desired to apply the new tags even when the message
>> is a duplicate.  How complicated would it be to implement this?
>
> It doesn't look especially hard, assuming the obvious small change to
> add_file() in notmuch-insert.c works. I didn't look at the equivalent
> code path in notmuch-new.c. Presumably you'd want them both to behave
> the same way.

Just to be clear, I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right thing
to do or not, just whether it would be hard. It seems likely to be
annoying to at least some people to have messages show up as unread
again (or whatever the tags are) when new copies arrive.

* Re: Tag duplicate messages with notmuch insert
@ 2018-10-15 11:00     ` Thomas Schneider
From: Thomas Schneider @ 2018-10-15 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Just to be clear, I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right thing
> to do or not, just whether it would be hard. It seems likely to be
> annoying to at least some people to have messages show up as unread
> again (or whatever the tags are) when new copies arrive.

Oh, I meant as an option of course, with a default to keep the current
behaviour.

* Re: Tag duplicate messages with notmuch insert
@ 2018-10-15 11:25     ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2018-10-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15 2018, David Bremner wrote:
> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
>
>> Thomas Schneider <qsx@chaotikum.eu> writes:
>>
>>> From notmuch-insert(1):

>>> It might however be desired to apply the new tags even when the message
>>> is a duplicate.  How complicated would it be to implement this?
>>
>> It doesn't look especially hard, assuming the obvious small change to
>> add_file() in notmuch-insert.c works. I didn't look at the equivalent
>> code path in notmuch-new.c. Presumably you'd want them both to behave
>> the same way.
>
> Just to be clear, I wasn't commenting on whether it was the right thing
> to do or not, just whether it would be hard. It seems likely to be
> annoying to at least some people to have messages show up as unread
> again (or whatever the tags are) when new copies arrive.

[If enabled,] such messages should get only the +new tag, not the +unread
tag.  Or whatever the user configured, of course.

Martin