* EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"
@ 2018-11-02 23:49 Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2018-11-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello list,

I tried to access https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/ several
times today, but it always resulted in a connection error, so I am
now trying the mailing list.

When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?

-Ralph

* Re: EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"
@ 2018-11-05 22:16 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2018-11-05 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Seichter, notmuch

On Sat, Nov 03 2018, Ralph Seichter wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I tried to access https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/ several
> times today, but it always resulted in a connection error, so I am
> now trying the mailing list.
>
> When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
> html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
> Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?

You probably have somewhere something like:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'html2text)

?

If so, drop that.

(then, it should default to 'shr since emacs 24...)

@ 2018-11-05 23:12   ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 2018-11-05 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila, Ralph Seichter, notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:

>> When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
>> html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
>> Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?
>
> You probably have somewhere something like:
>
> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'html2text)
>
> ?
>
> If so, drop that.
>
> (then, it should default to 'shr since emacs 24...)

It defaults to shr as long as emacs was compiled with libxml. Otherwise
it tries to find various external commands, html2text amongst them. So I
guess Ralph could also be running an emacs install built without libxml
support.

(defcustom mm-text-html-renderer
  (cond ((fboundp 'libxml-parse-html-region) 'shr)
	((executable-find "w3m") 'gnus-w3m)
	((executable-find "links") 'links)
	((executable-find "lynx") 'lynx)
	((locate-library "html2text") 'html2text)
	(t nil))
)

--
	Istvan

* Re: EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"
@ 2018-11-05 23:56     ` Ralph Seichter
From: Ralph Seichter @ 2018-11-05 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

* Istvan Marko:

> It defaults to shr as long as emacs was compiled with libxml.

Thanks Istvan, that was the clue I needed. I rebuilt EMACS using libxml2
and now rendering HTML works.

-Ralph