* Newbie question about notmuch and gmail
@ 2018-10-16  9:38 rey-coyrehourcq
From: rey-coyrehourcq @ 2018-10-16  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi guys,

First thanks you a lot for developping such tools, people like me rediscover
email management after some year of gmail,
and i'm really happy to found great tools like notmuch to help me on this hard
task to extract and manage tons of emails out from gmail.

I first migrate all of my emails from gmail using to mailfence provider using
the great imapsync tool. I also migrate the special "[Gmail]/all mail" folders,
but now i think this is a mistake because i have duplicate messages.
Secondly, i sync on a local folder all emails from mailfence imap to local
folder on my disk using mbsync.

Now, i want to use notmuch ☺ to manage this email, and i have some questions :

- Actually i have a lot of imap folders, and i want to flatten them to adopt the
tag management of notmuch. If i use as many tag as folder to tag messages on mailfence, then after that i remove imap folder, is there a way to get and sync this imap remote tag using notmuch ?

- Is there a way to mark duplicate messages (before deletion) easily using
notmuch ?

Sébastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
Research Engineer UMR IDEES
02.35.14.69.30

{Stronger security for your email, follow EFF tutorial : https://ssd.eff.org/}

* Re: Newbie question about notmuch and gmail
@ 2018-10-16 10:18 ` Jeff Templon
From: Jeff Templon @ 2018-10-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rey-coyrehourcq, notmuch

Hi,

rey-coyrehourcq <sebastien.rey-coyrehourcq@univ-rouen.fr> writes:

> - Is there a way to mark duplicate messages (before deletion) easily using
> notmuch ?

I too am interested in this one, "if there's a better way".  What I do
know about is this:

simeto:~> notmuch search --duplicate=19 --output=files date:2011..2011
/Users/templon/Maildir/Zar/2011/cur/1479841249.46174_17127.medina,U=1329:2,S
/Users/templon/Maildir/Zar/2011/cur/1479841248.46174_17105.medina,U=1307:2,S

This means that in my Maildir, I have two emails (two messageIDs) for
which 19 files exist, if I interpret the command correctly.  You could
use duplicate = 2 for example to find simple duplicates.

simeto:~> notmuch search --duplicate=2 --output=files date:2011..2011 | wc -l
    2760

I guess to delete, you'd use a pipeline like:

notmuch search --duplicate=19 --output=files --format=text0 \
   date:2011..2011 | xargs -0 rm

I'm not sure how tagging would work, I think tags are associated with
the messageIDs and not with the duplicates themselves.

      J "2011 was a good year" T