* Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15  5:34 Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2013-07-15  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is an obvious question...

I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.

All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.

I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
well.

Is there an easy solution to this that I'm missing?

Kind regards
Bart

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15 20:11 ` Guyzmo
From: Guyzmo @ 2013-07-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 03:34:26PM +1000, Bart Bunting wrote:
> Sorry if this is an obvious question...

    this is not obvious at all, your question lacks a lot of precisions.
You're asking the maling list which topic  is  notmuch  that  does email
indexing, and is not a MTA.

> I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
> intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
> opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.
> All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.
> I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
> well.

 - what MTA (aka e-mail client) are you using?
 - what do you mean by "activating links"? Clicking on them? Or do you
   try to open them using your mind?

    Usually for text MTAs (such as mutt or afew), this is not their role
to handle url, but the graphical terminal emulator  to  handle  that. If
you use gnome-terminal, for example, it has a configuration to  help one
detect URLs in its buffer.

Cheers,

--
Guyzmo

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15 20:20   ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2013-07-15 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guyzmo; +Cc: notmuch

On 07/15/2013 04:11 PM, Guyzmo wrote:

>     this is not obvious at all, your question lacks a lot of precisions.
> You're asking the maling list which topic  is  notmuch  that  does email
> indexing, and is not a MTA.

I thought the OP's question was pretty clearly referring to the
notmuch-emacs interface (i don't know of any other context in which
"browse-url-at-point" has meaning).

if you try interpreting it in the context of notmuch-emacs does that
make more sense?

	--dkg

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15 20:47 ` Adam Wolfe Gordon
From: Adam Wolfe Gordon @ 2013-07-15 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Bunting; +Cc: Notmuch Mail

Hi Bart,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> wrote:
> I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
> intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
> opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.
>
> All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.
>
> I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
> well.
>
> Is there an easy solution to this that I'm missing?

First off, if anyone would like to implement this feature, I would
definitely appreciate it. I don't have a great solution, but there are
two workarounds I've used for this:

1. I used to use a terminal that automatically made links clickable
(with a modifier key). This worked well until I got tired of other
bugs in that terminal. (Note that this only applies if, like me, you
run emacs -nw).

2. These days I add a key to the notmuch-show keymap mapped to
browse-url-at-point, with the following:

(define-key notmuch-show-mode-map "U" 'browse-url-at-point)

So when there's a URL I want to see, I go to it and hit U. It's not as
convenient/obvious as enter, but it works well enough. I assume this
works in non-terminal emacs as well.

-- Adam

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15 20:58     ` Guyzmo
From: Guyzmo @ 2013-07-15 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor; +Cc: notmuch

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 04:20:24PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > this is not obvious at all, your question lacks a lot of precisions.
> > You're asking the maling list which topic  is  notmuch  that  does email
> > indexing, and is not a MTA.
> I thought the OP's question was pretty clearly referring to the
> notmuch-emacs interface (i don't know of any other context in which
> "browse-url-at-point" has meaning).

    well, that's why I did not understand the question :-)  If  the word
"emacs" was stated somewhere in the question  or  the  subject,  I would
have just ignored the mail ;-)

> if you try interpreting it in the context of notmuch-emacs does that
> make more sense?

    Well not much... I'm a notmuch+mutt-kz+vim user, not a notmuch+emacs
user, and I try to read the mailing list as  much  as  I  can,  though I
regularly skip emacs related posts, as  I'm  not  interesed... Sometimes
there are some  that  I don't get as being emacs related!

My apologies for the misunderstanding,

--
Guyzmo

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-15 23:21   ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2013-07-15 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Wolfe Gordon; +Cc: Notmuch Mail

Adam,

Thanks for the tip.  That is obvious now you point it out.

I too would welcome an implementation that allowed hitting enter to
follow a link.  Hitting another key though is not too arduous.

Guyzmo, no problems regarding your interpretation of my question.  I
should have been more specific with regards to emacs.

Kind regards

Bart

Adam Wolfe Gordon <awg+notmuch@xvx.ca> writes:

> Hi Bart,
>
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> wrote:
>> I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
>> intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
>> opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.
>>
>> All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.
>>
>> I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
>> well.
>>
>> Is there an easy solution to this that I'm missing?
>
> First off, if anyone would like to implement this feature, I would
> definitely appreciate it. I don't have a great solution, but there are
> two workarounds I've used for this:
>
> 1. I used to use a terminal that automatically made links clickable
> (with a modifier key). This worked well until I got tired of other
> bugs in that terminal. (Note that this only applies if, like me, you
> run emacs -nw).
>
> 2. These days I add a key to the notmuch-show keymap mapped to
> browse-url-at-point, with the following:
>
> (define-key notmuch-show-mode-map "U" 'browse-url-at-point)
>
> So when there's a URL I want to see, I go to it and hit U. It's not as
> convenient/obvious as enter, but it works well enough. I assume this
> works in non-terminal emacs as well.
>
> -- Adam

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-21  8:21     ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2013-07-21  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Bunting, Adam Wolfe Gordon; +Cc: Notmuch Mail

Hi

I think C-c RET works to follow the link. At least that seems to do the
same as clicking it.

I agree that just RET would be nice, but also would like the links to be
treated as buttons so next-button (ie TAB) would stop at them. What do
other people think?

(I have a preliminary implementation that does this)

Best wishes

Mark

Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> writes:

> Adam,
>
> Thanks for the tip.  That is obvious now you point it out.
>
> I too would welcome an implementation that allowed hitting enter to
> follow a link.  Hitting another key though is not too arduous.
>
> Guyzmo, no problems regarding your interpretation of my question.  I
> should have been more specific with regards to emacs.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Bart
>
> Adam Wolfe Gordon <awg+notmuch@xvx.ca> writes:
>
>> Hi Bart,
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> wrote:
>>> I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
>>> intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
>>> opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.
>>>
>>> All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.
>>>
>>> I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Is there an easy solution to this that I'm missing?
>>
>> First off, if anyone would like to implement this feature, I would
>> definitely appreciate it. I don't have a great solution, but there are
>> two workarounds I've used for this:
>>
>> 1. I used to use a terminal that automatically made links clickable
>> (with a modifier key). This worked well until I got tired of other
>> bugs in that terminal. (Note that this only applies if, like me, you
>> run emacs -nw).
>>
>> 2. These days I add a key to the notmuch-show keymap mapped to
>> browse-url-at-point, with the following:
>>
>> (define-key notmuch-show-mode-map "U" 'browse-url-at-point)
>>
>> So when there's a URL I want to see, I go to it and hit U. It's not as
>> convenient/obvious as enter, but it works well enough. I assume this
>> works in non-terminal emacs as well.
>>
>> -- Adam

* Re: Links in email messages
@ 2013-07-21 22:50       ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2013-07-21 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Walters, Adam Wolfe Gordon; +Cc: Notmuch Mail

That sounds exactly like what I was hoping for.

Kind regards
Bart

Bart