* merge broken mail threads
@ 2019-01-23 15:29 Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2019-01-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi,

Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
notmuch?

Best,

Nick

* Re: merge broken mail threads
@ 2019-01-23 16:43 ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2019-01-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Bock, notmuch

On Wed 2019-01-23 08:29:05 -0700, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
> the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
> there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
> notmuch?

there's a manual way to do it as a janky workaround:

 * create a bogus e-mail message that References: a message-id from each
   split faction.

 * inject that message into your notmuch message store

 * delete that message

See also the thread on this maiing list with Subject "thread merge/split
proposal" from back in 2016, starting at
id:87mvp9uwi4.fsf@alice.fifthhorseman.net though i don't think any of
that has been implemented.

        --dkg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: merge broken mail threads
@ 2019-01-23 21:19   ` Nicolas Bock
From: Nicolas Bock @ 2019-01-23 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, notmuch

On Wed, Jan 23 2019, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On Wed 2019-01-23 08:29:05 -0700, Nicolas Bock wrote:
>
>> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently
>> breaks  the email thread because their mail client doesn't get
>> it. Is  there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again
>> with  notmuch?
>
> there's a manual way to do it as a janky workaround:
>
>  * create a bogus e-mail message that References: a message-id
>  from each
>    split faction.
>
>  * inject that message into your notmuch message store
>
>  * delete that message

Nice trick :) Would this also work if I modified the reference of
the first email that breaks the thread to point to the email it is
quoting? I would have to get notmuch to re-read that email though
to update the database. But this approach would not involve first
creating a fake message and then deleting it again :)

@ 2019-01-23 21:48 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2019-01-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Bock, notmuch

On Wed, Jan 23 2019, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
> the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
> there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
> notmuch?

There is this secret trick where you send message to yourself
where any message-id from from both threads are included in
references: header...

> Best,
>
> Nick

Tomi

* Re: merge broken mail threads
@ 2019-01-24 11:05   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2019-01-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Nicolas Bock, notmuch

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> writes:

> See also the thread on this maiing list with Subject "thread merge/split
> proposal" from back in 2016, starting at
> id:87mvp9uwi4.fsf@alice.fifthhorseman.net though i don't think any of
> that has been implemented.

Well, message properties were originally designed for that, iirc. So
some of the prerequisites are tehre.

* Re: merge broken mail threads
@ 2019-01-24 16:31     ` Daniel Kahn Gillmor
From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor @ 2019-01-24 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)