* mailto: in Firefox and notmuch-emacs-mua
@ 2022-04-16  4:06 talin.nicholas
From: talin.nicholas @ 2022-04-16  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

When opening a mailto: link, Firefox defaults to notmuch-emacs-mua,
which is what I want, minus that it spawns a new Emacs instance (which
hangs) rather than opening an *unsent mail* buffer in my existing
daemon. I copied the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to
~/.local/share/applications and changed out the arguments in Exec= -
trying  out --client, --create-frame, and --hello in combinations - to no
avail. Now, when I open a link, it doesn't do anything. No new buffer,
no new frame.

* Re: mailto: in Firefox and notmuch-emacs-mua
@ 2022-04-18 10:50 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2022-04-18 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: talin.nicholas, notmuch

On Fri, Apr 15 2022, talin nicholas wrote:

> When opening a mailto: link, Firefox defaults to notmuch-emacs-mua,
> which is what I want, minus that it spawns a new Emacs instance (which
> hangs) rather than opening an *unsent mail* buffer in my existing
> daemon. I copied the .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to
> ~/.local/share/applications and changed out the arguments in Exec= -
> trying  out --client, --create-frame, and --hello in combinations - to no
> avail. Now, when I open a link, it doesn't do anything. No new buffer,
> no new frame.

By looking the script, --client is needed to use emacsclient to send
message to running emacs daemon for a new mail buffer...

First, why using the default .desktop emacs hangs is one question (but
probably shows that environment is good enough for starting emacs in
graphical display). Why nothing happens when .local .desktop is used
is strange thing. Is the script silently failing...

what one could do is to copy notmuch-emacs-mua to /tmp or $HOME/...
and add theese lines to the beginning of the file (after #!... line):

exec 2>/tmp/nem.$$.txt
set -x

then perhaps the /tmp/nem.{pid}.txt files shed some light what is
happening...

Tomi