* (Emacs) Use tree view by default from notmuch-hello and notmuch-jump ?
@ 2024-03-17 21:49 Michael Graham
From: Michael Graham @ 2024-03-17 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I'm new at notmuch (and the list), so I'm probably doing something
wrong.

I prefer tree view (notmuch-tree-mode) to search view
(notmuch-search-mode), and I would like my saved searches to open
in tree view automatically.

I have a bunch of saved searches, which I configure like this:
(push '(:name "Personal Unscreened"
        :query "tag:inbox AND tag:unread AND (NOT
        query:screened-addresses)" :key "u" :search-type 'tree)
      notmuch-saved-searches)

But when I run the search, it always the results in search view
(notmuch-search-mode).

I know I can press 'Z' to get to the tree-view
(notmuch-tree-from-search-current-query), but it's another step
and creates another buffer.  I'm trying to get the search to start
in tree view directly.

Am I understanding the :search-type option correctly?

Michael

* Re: (Emacs) Use tree view by default from notmuch-hello and notmuch-jump ?
@ 2024-03-18 11:57 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2024-03-18 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Graham, notmuch

Michael Graham <magog@the-wire.com> writes:

> I'm new at notmuch (and the list), so I'm probably doing something
> wrong.
>
> I prefer tree view (notmuch-tree-mode) to search view
> (notmuch-search-mode), and I would like my saved searches to open
> in tree view automatically.
>
> I have a bunch of saved searches, which I configure like this:
> (push '(:name "Personal Unscreened"
>         :query "tag:inbox AND tag:unread AND (NOT
>         query:screened-addresses)" :key "u" :search-type 'tree)
>       notmuch-saved-searches)
>
> But when I run the search, it always the results in search view
> (notmuch-search-mode).

I think it's just a problem with too much quoting (try tree without ',
since you already quoted the outside expression).

Even for people that prefer not to use customize, inspecting the
expression that M-x customize-variable generates can help debug these
kind of problems (that's what I did to see what was wrong with your
example).

* Re: (Emacs) Use tree view by default from notmuch-hello and notmuch-jump ?
@ 2024-03-18 14:02   ` Michael Graham
From: Michael Graham @ 2024-03-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Michael Graham <magog@the-wire.com> writes:
>> I have a bunch of saved searches, which I configure like this:
>> (push '(:name "Personal Unscreened"
>>         :query "tag:inbox AND tag:unread AND (NOT
>>         query:screened-addresses)" :key "u" :search-type 'tree)
>>       notmuch-saved-searches)
>>
>> But when I run the search, it always the results in search view
>> (notmuch-search-mode).
>>

> I think it's just a problem with too much quoting (try tree
> without ', since you already quoted the outside expression).

Thank you, David!  This fixed it:

  (push '(:name "Personal Unscreened"
          :query "tag:inbox AND tag:unread AND (NOT
          query:screened-addresses) :key "u" :search-type tree)
        notmuch-saved-searches)

I had actually tried 'tree and "tree" but not just the unquoted:
tree

> Even for people that prefer not to use customize, inspecting the
> expression that M-x customize-variable generates can help debug
> these kind of problems (that's what I did to see what was wrong
> with your example).

Thank you, that's good advice.  I think it's probably time for me
to spend some time understanding elisp quoting.  I'm always a
little confused by it.

Michael