* Inconsistency in quoting probabilistic prefixes?
@ 2023-12-02 14:08 artur.brzozowski
From: artur.brzozowski @ 2023-12-02 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Hey,

Trying to add List matching to my notmuch tagging and I found
something that surprises me. Namely,

1) when I want to match a bunch of alternatives for <from:>
prefix, I have to quote the parenthesis to get the results:

$ notmuch search 'from:"(box@some.io or mail@example.com)"'
<results found>
$ notmuch search 'from:(box@some.io or mail@example.com)'
<no results>

2) when I want to do the same to a parenthesised set of <List:>
alternatives, I must leave it unquoted to get the results.

$ notmuch search 'List:"(freebsd-announce@freebsd.org or misc@openbsd.org)"'
<no results>
$ notmuch search 'List:(freebsd-announce@freebsd.org or misc@openbsd.org)'
<results found>

I use the standard "index.header.List=List-Id" key-value as
pointed out in notmuch-config(1).

Is this expected behaviour? If so, why?

Regards,
Artur

* Inconsistency in quoting probabilistic prefixes?
@ 2023-12-02 14:22 artur.brzozowski
From: artur.brzozowski @ 2023-12-02 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Hi!

[...]

* Re: Inconsistency in quoting probabilistic prefixes?
@ 2023-12-02 16:49 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-12-02 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: artur.brzozowski, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

"artur.brzozowski" <artur.brzozowski@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Trying to add List matching to my notmuch tagging and I found
> something that surprises me. Namely,
>
> 1) when I want to match a bunch of alternatives for <from:>
> prefix, I have to quote the parenthesis to get the results:
>
> $ notmuch search 'from:"(box@some.io or mail@example.com)"'
> <results found>
> $ notmuch search 'from:(box@some.io or mail@example.com)'
> <no results>
>
> 2) when I want to do the same to a parenthesised set of <List:>
> alternatives, I must leave it unquoted to get the results.
>
> $ notmuch search 'List:"(freebsd-announce@freebsd.org or misc@openbsd.org)"'
> <no results>
> $ notmuch search 'List:(freebsd-announce@freebsd.org or misc@openbsd.org)'
> <results found>
>
> I use the standard "index.header.List=List-Id" key-value as
> pointed out in notmuch-config(1).
>
> Is this expected behaviour? If so, why?

Unfortunately there are likely to be inconsistencies between those
fields supporting regex queries (like from) and "true" probabilistic
prefixes. I think that these problems are tricky to fix because of the
way notmuch extends the Xapian query parser, namely by reparsing a
"boolean" term.

The sexp query parser should not have these issues.

* Re: Inconsistency in quoting probabilistic prefixes?
@ 2023-12-03 13:22 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-12-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: artur.brzozowski, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

"artur.brzozowski" <artur.brzozowski@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> Trying to add List matching to my notmuch tagging and I found
> something that surprises me. Namely,

This is a duplicate message, my fault, I saw it in the moderation queue,
didn't realize it already went to the list.

* Re: Inconsistency in quoting probabilistic prefixes?
@ 2023-12-03 18:55   ` artur.brzozowski
From: artur.brzozowski @ 2023-12-03 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

On Saturday, December 2nd, 2023 at 4:49 PM, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately there are likely to be inconsistencies between those
> fields supporting regex queries (like from) and "true" probabilistic
> prefixes.

Thanks. Yes, I expected this to be at play.

> The sexp query parser should not have these issues.

Nice! I think I should rather use those because fighting with quotation is the last thing I want to ever do.

Kindly,
Artur