* Moving mail store
@ 2017-03-21 17:31 Matthew Lear
From: Matthew Lear @ 2017-03-21 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi all. I plan to migrate my offlineimap mail store and notmuch database to
a new machine in the next week or so. I wanted to check for any potential
gotchas before I did this. I don't plan on keeping the same absolute paths
to the maildir files on the new machine because the new top level mailstore
location will be different. Will notmuch care about this change if I use
the exported database (obtained from the old machine) on the new machine? I
expect notmuch to only care about the message IDs themselves and update its
database on the new machine when notmuch new is run. Is that correct?

Is there a recommended way to move mailstore in such a way that all tags
are preserved even though the paths to the top level location of the
mailstore is different?

Offlineimap shouldn't care as I think it just needs a top level directory
to sync into, so a sync run on the new machine post-migration of mailstore
shouldn't notice anything different provided that the offlineimap database
and config files are moved and tweaked accordingly.

Cheers,
 Matt

* Re: Moving mail store
@ 2017-03-21 17:59 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2017-03-21 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lear, notmuch

Matthew Lear <matt@bubblegen.co.uk> writes:

> Hi all. I plan to migrate my offlineimap mail store and notmuch database to
> a new machine in the next week or so. I wanted to check for any potential
> gotchas before I did this. I don't plan on keeping the same absolute paths
> to the maildir files on the new machine because the new top level mailstore
> location will be different. Will notmuch care about this change if I use
> the exported database (obtained from the old machine) on the new machine? I
> expect notmuch to only care about the message IDs themselves and update its
> database on the new machine when notmuch new is run. Is that correct?

yes

> Is there a recommended way to move mailstore in such a way that all tags
> are preserved even though the paths to the top level location of the
> mailstore is different?

tags are not connected with paths, only with message-ids.

* Re: Moving mail store
@ 2017-03-21 19:34   ` Matthew Lear
From: Matthew Lear @ 2017-03-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch