* how to make return follow hyperlink?
@ 2015-08-26 19:10 Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2015-08-26 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

How do I make it so that hitting RET on a hyperlink follows it? Is there a
setting analogous to org-return-follows-link? I often have links in
incoming emails, and I'd like to be able to open them in my browser with
one keystroke.

Thanks!

* Re: how to make return follow hyperlink?
@ 2015-08-27  8:35 ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2015-08-27  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar, notmuch

On Wed, Aug 26 2015, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I make it so that hitting RET on a hyperlink follows it? Is there a
> setting analogous to org-return-follows-link? I often have links in
> incoming emails, and I'd like to be able to open them in my browser with
> one keystroke.

Having that binding would conflict badly with the existing binding for
`notmuch-show-toggle-message' (which has been in place for a long
time!).

Perhaps not what you want, but for me, clicking on the link with the
mouse opens the link.

* Re: how to make return follow hyperlink?
@ 2015-08-27 10:53   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2015-08-27 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 09:35:26AM +0100, David Edmondson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26 2015, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How do I make it so that hitting RET on a hyperlink follows it? Is there a
> > setting analogous to org-return-follows-link? I often have links in
> > incoming emails, and I'd like to be able to open them in my browser with
> > one keystroke.
>
> Having that binding would conflict badly with the existing binding for
> `notmuch-show-toggle-message' (which has been in place for a long
> time!).
>
> Perhaps not what you want, but for me, clicking on the link with the
> mouse opens the link.

I think you can hack around by advicing notmuch-show-toggle-message and
making it context sensitive.  I don't really know the best way to
determine the context, but a quick hack would be to look at the
face-at-point.  Of course this requires font-lock-mode be active.

I once did something like this to expand abbreviations (below).  Of
course you will have to use a defadvice instead of a defun.

Hope this helps,

(defun sa-expand-abbrev-in-context (expand)
  "Expands abbreviations according to the context. Determines
whether within comments or source by looking at the face name. If
within comments the `basic-text-mode-abbrev-table' is used, the
major mode abbrev-table is used otherwise.

Expansion is done by the function passed as the argument. This is
controlled by the \"abnormal\" hook `abbrev-expand-functions'."
;; backward-char checks if end-of-buffer as when point at e-o-b face is `nil'
;; the function call expand does the expansion, usually `expand-abbrev'
  (if (save-excursion
	(string-match "comment\\|string"
		      (symbol-name (if (< (point) (point-max))
				       (face-at-point)
				     (backward-char)
				     (face-at-point)))))
      (let ((local-abbrev-table basic-text-mode-abbrev-table))
	(funcall expand))
    (funcall expand)))

--
Suvayu

* Re: how to make return follow hyperlink?
@ 2015-08-27 18:24 ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2015-08-27 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar, notmuch

> How do I make it so that hitting RET on a hyperlink follows it? Is there a
> setting analogous to org-return-follows-link? I often have links in
> incoming emails, and I'd like to be able to open them in my browser with
> one keystroke.

A long time ago I posted a patch to do this: I don't know if it still
applies or how easy it is to update (nor do I remember how I got on with
the difficulties bremner mentioned in the the quoted bit of irc
conversation in the third message of that thread).

id:1377240695-825-1-git-send-email-markwalters1009@gmail.com

Incidentally, pressing RET on id: links already overrides the use of RET
to collapse a message so I don't see it as problematic to do the same
for http links.

Best wishes

Mark

* Re: how to make return follow hyperlink?
@ 2015-08-28  5:55 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2015-08-28  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Salazar, notmuch

On Wed, Aug 26 2015, Peter Salazar <cycleofsong@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I make it so that hitting RET on a hyperlink follows it? Is there a
> setting analogous to org-return-follows-link? I often have links in
> incoming emails, and I'd like to be able to open them in my browser with
> one keystroke.

BTW: the interesting thing is that in text/plain content id: links already
do something -- and e.g. https?: do not. in text/html content I get
'No usable browser found'(*) when pressing RET on top of http: link so it
must be doing something ;)

Tomi

(*) Note to self: hack something to show the link using (message ...) in this case.

@ 2015-08-28 18:13   ` Peter Salazar
From: Peter Salazar @ 2015-08-28 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: notmuch