* An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 12:10 kototama kototama
From: kototama kototama @ 2014-01-21 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello everyone,

I have developed a small minor mode to mute email threads with notmuch.

http://dialectical-computing.de/blog/blog/2014/01/17/an-emacs-minor-mode-to-mute-email-threads/

https://github.com/kototama/notmuch-kill-mode

I hope it can be useful for some of you.

Best regards

* Re: An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 12:52 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-01-21 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kototama kototama, notmuch

kototama kototama <kototamo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have developed a small minor mode to mute email threads with notmuch.
>
> http://dialectical-computing.de/blog/blog/2014/01/17/an-emacs-minor-mode-to-mute-email-threads/
>
> https://github.com/kototama/notmuch-kill-mode
>
> I hope it can be useful for some of you.

Interesting. I think it is more efficient (and UI agnostic) to do this
on the CLI level. For example

% notmuch config set search.exclude_tags "spam;deleted;muted"

spam and deleted are not needed for this discussion.

then in a post-new hook (man notmuch-hooks) or other script

% notmuch tag +muted $(notmuch search --output=threads tag:muted)

David

* Re: An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 13:49 ` Amadeusz Żołnowski
From: Amadeusz Żołnowski @ 2014-01-21 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kototama kototama; +Cc: notmuch

kototama kototama <kototamo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,

Hi,

> I have developed a small minor mode to mute email threads with notmuch.

FYI, it seems to be similar to "killed" option of afew[1].

[1] https://github.com/teythoon/afew

Regards,

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 14:18   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-01-21 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amadeusz Żołnowski, kototama kototama; +Cc: notmuch

Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@aidecoe.name> writes:
>> I have developed a small minor mode to mute email threads with notmuch.
>
> FYI, it seems to be similar to "killed" option of afew[1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/teythoon/afew

As far as I can tell, neither afew nor alot uses
search.exclude_tags. This seems unfortunate to me, but I'm not using
either so I may miss the complete story.

* Re: An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 16:16     ` Amadeusz Żołnowski
From: Amadeusz Żołnowski @ 2014-01-21 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, kototama kototama; +Cc: notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@aidecoe.name> writes:
>>> I have developed a small minor mode to mute email threads with notmuch.
>>
>> FYI, it seems to be similar to "killed" option of afew[1].
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/teythoon/afew
>
> As far as I can tell, neither afew nor alot uses
> search.exclude_tags. This seems unfortunate to me, but I'm not using
> either so I may miss the complete story.

The question is: should exclude_tags be used in context of killed/mute?
This is just for skipping „inbox”, not for hiding them in all search
results - at least IMHO.

--

@ 2014-01-21 16:27       ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-01-21 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amadeusz Żołnowski; +Cc: notmuch

Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@aidecoe.name> writes:

> The question is: should exclude_tags be used in context of killed/mute?
> This is just for skipping „inbox”, not for hiding them in all search
> results - at least IMHO.

For me I definitely want a muted thread to disappear in all searches. I
have at least three "inboxes" with sometimes overlapping content. But
yeah, if you don't want that, then you need some other approach than
exclude_tags. If I understand correctly, what you ask for also sounds
easily scriptable:

  % notmuch tag -inbox +muted -- $(notmuch search --output=threads tag:muted)

and of course that can be done in a post-new script or equivalent.

* Re: An Emacs Minor Mode to Mute Email Threads
@ 2014-01-21 17:07         ` kototama kototama
From: kototama kototama @ 2014-01-21 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: notmuch