* images as attachment?
@ 2012-10-01  9:25 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2012-10-01  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Dear all,

could someone throw an advice? When I receive an email with picture
attachment, sometimes it works out of the box in emacs, but sometimes
instead of picture it shows a link as this one:

---------- SNIP ------------

    I have not tried to understand why we're measuring too high bunch intensity so if you have any ideas please try it out let me know what to do.

   [cid:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]

 We can discuss tomorrow tomorrow if you want

---------- SNIP ------------

The issue is, that when I click the link,

a) it opens new empty emacs buffer with no picture in it
b) the hyperlink (when pointing mouse on it) does not highlight the
initial 'c' letter (so the hyperlink is only
'id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]')

How can I force emacs to display those pictures correctly?

I'm using remote-notmuch to fetch the notmuch messages.

Thanks

.d.

* Re: images as attachment?
@ 2012-10-14 23:09 ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-10-14 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad, notmuch

On Mon, Oct 01 2012, David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> wrote:
> could someone throw an advice? When I receive an email with picture
> attachment, sometimes it works out of the box in emacs, but sometimes
> instead of picture it shows a link as this one:
>
> ---------- SNIP ------------
>
>     I have not tried to understand why we're measuring too high bunch intensity so if you have any ideas please try it out let me know what to do.
>
>    [cid:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]
>
>  We can discuss tomorrow tomorrow if you want
>
> ---------- SNIP ------------
>
> The issue is, that when I click the link,
>
> a) it opens new empty emacs buffer with no picture in it
> b) the hyperlink (when pointing mouse on it) does not highlight the
> initial 'c' letter (so the hyperlink is only
> 'id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]')

Notmuch show automatically interprets strings of the form "id:..."  as a
notmuch message id and buttonizes the strings so that clicking on them
will open up buffer with the corresponding message.  I bet notmuch is
interpreting "[cid:.." as "id:.." and sending you to a new search buffer
for "id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]".

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: images as attachment?
@ 2012-10-15  7:02   ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2012-10-15  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, notmuch

Hi Jameson,

I guess this is exactly the point. Hence one would say, that this is
a bug to repair? What is bit curious to me is that so far nobody
complained about it. So is it just my emacs/notmuch configuration which does it? (note
that i'm using notmuch remotely and notmuch pulled from development tree)

cheers

.d.

Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 01 2012, David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> wrote:
>> could someone throw an advice? When I receive an email with picture
>> attachment, sometimes it works out of the box in emacs, but sometimes
>> instead of picture it shows a link as this one:
>>
>> ---------- SNIP ------------
>>
>>     I have not tried to understand why we're measuring too high bunch intensity so if you have any ideas please try it out let me know what to do.
>>
>>    [cid:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]
>>
>>  We can discuss tomorrow tomorrow if you want
>>
>> ---------- SNIP ------------
>>
>> The issue is, that when I click the link,
>>
>> a) it opens new empty emacs buffer with no picture in it
>> b) the hyperlink (when pointing mouse on it) does not highlight the
>> initial 'c' letter (so the hyperlink is only
>> 'id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]')
>
> Notmuch show automatically interprets strings of the form "id:..."  as a
> notmuch message id and buttonizes the strings so that clicking on them
> will open up buffer with the corresponding message.  I bet notmuch is
> interpreting "[cid:.." as "id:.." and sending you to a new search buffer
> for "id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]".
>
> jamie.

* Re: images as attachment?
@ 2012-10-15  7:49     ` Jameson Graef Rollins
From: Jameson Graef Rollins @ 2012-10-15  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad, notmuch

On Mon, Oct 15 2012, David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> wrote:
> I guess this is exactly the point. Hence one would say, that this is
> a bug to repair? What is bit curious to me is that so far nobody
> complained about it. So is it just my emacs/notmuch configuration which does it? (note
> that i'm using notmuch remotely and notmuch pulled from development tree)

My guess is just that not enough people have encountered it.

If you want to look into patching it, I think the offending code is in
emacs/notmuch-show.el (notmuch-show-buttonise-links).  Maybe just adding
a blank space before "id:" in the regexp would fix the issue?

@ 2012-10-15  9:52       ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2012-10-15  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, David Belohrad, notmuch

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> wrote:
> If you want to look into patching it, I think the offending code is in
> emacs/notmuch-show.el (notmuch-show-buttonise-links).  Maybe just adding
> a blank space before "id:" in the regexp would fix the issue?

Or [^A-Za-z_-] or similar instead of space to accept some punctuation
before the id.

BR,
Jani.

* Re: images as attachment?
@ 2012-10-31  2:53   ` Austin Clements
From: Austin Clements @ 2012-10-31  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Graef Rollins, David Belohrad, notmuch

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins@finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01 2012, David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> wrote:
>> could someone throw an advice? When I receive an email with picture
>> attachment, sometimes it works out of the box in emacs, but sometimes
>> instead of picture it shows a link as this one:
>>
>> ---------- SNIP ------------
>>
>>     I have not tried to understand why we're measuring too high bunch intensity so if you have any ideas please try it out let me know what to do.
>>
>>    [cid:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]
>>
>>  We can discuss tomorrow tomorrow if you want
>>
>> ---------- SNIP ------------
>>
>> The issue is, that when I click the link,
>>
>> a) it opens new empty emacs buffer with no picture in it
>> b) the hyperlink (when pointing mouse on it) does not highlight the
>> initial 'c' letter (so the hyperlink is only
>> 'id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]')
>
> Notmuch show automatically interprets strings of the form "id:..."  as a
> notmuch message id and buttonizes the strings so that clicking on them
> will open up buffer with the corresponding message.  I bet notmuch is
> interpreting "[cid:.." as "id:.." and sending you to a new search buffer
> for "id:image001.png@01CD9F29.128BA6B0]".

The patch series I just sent,
id:"1351650561-7331-1-git-send-email-amdragon@mit.edu", should fix this
issue.