* configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-20 12:07 Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2023-12-20 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

I just ran

    ./configure --prefix=/tmp/notmuch
    make
    sudo make install

It clobbered /usr/local instead of installing to the prefix.

* Re: configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-20 15:30 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-12-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandra Snan, notmuch

Sandra Snan <sandra.snan@idiomdrottning.org> writes:

> I just ran
>
>     ./configure --prefix=/tmp/notmuch
>     make
>     sudo make install
>
> It clobbered /usr/local instead of installing to the prefix.

I can't duplicate that on Debian testing with GNU Make. FWIW, it should
not be required to use sudo to install into /tmp (but as far as I know
it should work).

* Re: configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-20 16:01   ` Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2023-12-20 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
> I can't duplicate that on Debian testing with GNU Make.

I was using zsh in Emacs shell mode on Debian GNU/Linux 12
(bookworm) with GNU Make 4.3.

> FWIW, it should not be required to use sudo to install into /tmp
> (but as far as I know it should work).

I used sudo for the install because /tmp/ isn't gonna be my
ultimate destdir and I don't want my own user to own these files,
root should own them. I was planning to use fpm in --dir mode.
Although I didn't get that far because it instead installed into
/usr/local.

* Re: configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-20 21:14     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-12-20 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandra Snan, notmuch

Sandra Snan <sandra.snan@idiomdrottning.org> writes:

> I used sudo for the install because /tmp/ isn't gonna be my
> ultimate destdir and I don't want my own user to own these files,
> root should own them. I was planning to use fpm in --dir mode.
> Although I didn't get that far because it instead installed into
> /usr/local.

Fair enough, but can you try without sudo to try to narrow down where
the issue is?

Thanks,

David

* Re: configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-20 22:03       ` Sandra Snan
From: Sandra Snan @ 2023-12-20 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:
> Fair enough, but can you try without sudo to try to narrow down
> where the issue is?

I found the problem. Sudo wasn't the issue. It was that after
./configure had failed to find some of the build deps and asked me

    sudo apt-get install libxapian-dev libgmime-3.0-dev
    libtalloc-dev zlib1g-dev

I did not run configure again, I just went straight to make. I'd think
that after 20 years of using autotools I wouldn't make that mistake but
that's what I found when I scrolled back up the buffer and looked more
carefully.

* Re: configure prefix ignored by make install
@ 2023-12-21 15:08         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-12-21 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandra Snan, notmuch

Sandra Snan <sandra.snan@idiomdrottning.org> writes:

> I did not run configure again, I just went straight to make. I'd think
> that after 20 years of using autotools I wouldn't make that mistake
> but that's what I found when I scrolled back up the buffer and looked
> more carefully.

Sounds like it's working for you now. I guess the "ease of use" tradeoff
here is that we currently run configure automatically from the Makefile,
while in you case it would have been more helpful to stop and say "hey,
run configure"