* the present and future of patch tracking for notmuch.
@ 2011-11-13 14:53 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2011-11-13 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

As some of you probably know, I have been using "nmbug" [1], now in git
master, to help track the state of notmuch patches.  At this point I
think I am about ready to declare the experimental deployment of nmbug a
success and make it more official.

## present?

- Currently this is running off a git repo on my server. I don't really
  mind doing this, but it would probably reduce confusion to have the
  "the" repo on git.notmuchmail.org

- Currently I am controlling push access to the nmbug repo by ssh-key.
  This is not really a burden, but I wonder if it would be better to
  allow anonymous pushes, perhaps to some staging repo that trusted
  people (i.e. those with ssh keys) could pull from.

## future?

- It would be nice if people without notmuch installed had access to the
  information.  Some way to make html dumps of threads with tags would
  do the trick, I believe. So far I am resisting the temptation to write
  such a thing.

- I'm not sure about the future of the notmuch patchwork instance. It
  doesn't hurt anything, but it does consume resources, and maybe
  generate confusion.

- So far, I'm continuing to post messages about pushed patches to the
  list. If at some point the consensus is that this is more annoying
  than useful, I'm perfectly willing to stop.

[1]: http://notmuchmail.org/nmbug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 315 bytes --]

* Re: the present and future of patch tracking for notmuch.
@ 2011-11-15 15:19 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2011-11-15 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:53:40 -0400, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> As some of you probably know, I have been using "nmbug" [1], now in git
> master, to help track the state of notmuch patches.  At this point I
> think I am about ready to declare the experimental deployment of nmbug a
> success and make it more official.

One thing I have noticed while using nmbug is that sometimes new
versions of patches lack references to the previous ones. This makes it
harder to see what has already been reviewed.  I'm not sure whether it
is better to have In-Reply-To headers or something in the commit
message, but if we could reach consensus, maybe the patch submission
guidelines could be updated.

* Re: the present and future of patch tracking for notmuch.
@ 2011-12-15 12:05 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2011-12-15 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Notmuch Mail

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:53:40 -0400, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> - It would be nice if people without notmuch installed had access to the
>   information.  Some way to make html dumps of threads with tags would
>   do the trick, I believe. So far I am resisting the temptation to write
>   such a thing.

In the end I failed to resist this temptation. See

   http://notmuchmail.org/nmbug/status/

Of course there could be more queries, nicer formatting, etc, etc...
Hint: the report generator source is on the wiki.