* proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04  9:42 David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-09-04  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi;

Both are superceded by code in the main tree, and should probably not be
shipped in the next release. I suppose there are some packagers
packaging contrib/notmuch-deliver, but they will have to adapt at some
point anyway.

Comments?

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04  9:45 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2013-09-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 04 2013, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:

> Hi;
>
> Both are superceded by code in the main tree, and should probably not be
> shipped in the next release. I suppose there are some packagers
> packaging contrib/notmuch-deliver, but they will have to adapt at some
> point anyway.
>
> Comments?

+1 for removal.

Tomi

--
"kaik on mänt!"

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04  9:50 ` David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2013-09-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

is actually someone using notmuch deliver? i was thinking to use is as
my 'implementation' of emailing uses remote access via SSH. This one is
considerably slower (especially when slow uplink) than local access and
hence if notmuch-deliver would be in a shape, that would spare at least
some time when 'notmuch new' is invoked from remote.

i agree however that 'notmuch new' could be scheduled at some interval,
notmuch-deliver would be much clearer solution.

.d.

@ 2013-09-04  9:50   ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2013-09-04  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1 from me for getting rid of the vim plug in mainline notmuch.
Cheers,
/p

[-- Attachment #2: signature --]

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04 10:25   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-09-04 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:

> is actually someone using notmuch deliver? i was thinking to use is as
> my 'implementation' of emailing uses remote access via SSH. This one is
> considerably slower (especially when slow uplink) than local access and
> hence if notmuch-deliver would be in a shape, that would spare at least
> some time when 'notmuch new' is invoked from remote.

notmuch-deliver is replaced by notmuch insert

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04 11:21 ` Amadeusz Żołnowski
From: Amadeusz Żołnowski @ 2013-09-04 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Both are superceded by code in the main tree, and should probably not be
> shipped in the next release. I suppose there are some packagers
> packaging contrib/notmuch-deliver, but they will have to adapt at some
> point anyway.
>
> Comments?

+1.  I don't pack notmuch-deliver for Gentoo.

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04 12:07     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi David,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:25:09AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:
>
> > is actually someone using notmuch deliver? i was thinking to use is as
> > my 'implementation' of emailing uses remote access via SSH. This one is
> > considerably slower (especially when slow uplink) than local access and
> > hence if notmuch-deliver would be in a shape, that would spare at least
> > some time when 'notmuch new' is invoked from remote.
> >

> notmuch-deliver is replaced by notmuch insert

I presume notmuch insert is a CLI only feature?  Or is it available from
the library too?  I was thinking of this in the context of mutt-kz
storing records.

--
Suvayu

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-04 14:53     ` Sebastian Schwarz
From: Sebastian Schwarz @ 2013-09-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On 2013-04-09, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
> David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:
>
>> is actually someone using notmuch deliver?

I am using notmuch-deliver with maildrop.  This allows me to
filter and tag based on any header field of the message.

>> [...]
>
> notmuch-deliver is replaced by notmuch insert

Because of the way notmuch-insert(1) deals with failure it is
entirely useless to me.  From the manual page:

> This command returns exit status 0 if the message was
> successfully added to the mail directory, even if the message
> could not be indexed and added to the notmuch database.

This means that if the index is locked when a message is
delivered it will not be tagged appropriately.  The message will
still be written to disk.  However if you rely on the tags to
find the message it effectively gets lost.

notmuch-insert(1) should fail if it isn't able to successfully
perform all of the following three tasks:

- write the message to disk
- index the message
- tag the message

It should return with a non-0 exit status and let its caller --
the MDA or another notmuch client -- handle the failure, since
notmuch-insert(1) cannot make any guarantees by itself anyway.
This would usually make an MDA retry delivering the message at a
later time.

Regards,
Sebastian

* Re: proposal to remove contrib/notmuch-vim and contrib/notmuch-deliver
@ 2013-09-05  9:12       ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2013-09-05  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013, Sebastian Schwarz <seschwar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2013-04-09, David Bremner <david@tethera.net> wrote:
>> David Belohrad <david@belohrad.ch> writes:
>>
>>> is actually someone using notmuch deliver?
>
> I am using notmuch-deliver with maildrop.  This allows me to
> filter and tag based on any header field of the message.
>
>>> [...]
>>
>> notmuch-deliver is replaced by notmuch insert
>
> Because of the way notmuch-insert(1) deals with failure it is
> entirely useless to me.  From the manual page:
>
>> This command returns exit status 0 if the message was
>> successfully added to the mail directory, even if the message
>> could not be indexed and added to the notmuch database.
>
> This means that if the index is locked when a message is
> delivered it will not be tagged appropriately.  The message will
> still be written to disk.  However if you rely on the tags to
> find the message it effectively gets lost.
>
> notmuch-insert(1) should fail if it isn't able to successfully
> perform all of the following three tasks:
>
> - write the message to disk
> - index the message
> - tag the message
>
> It should return with a non-0 exit status and let its caller --
> the MDA or another notmuch client -- handle the failure, since
> notmuch-insert(1) cannot make any guarantees by itself anyway.
> This would usually make an MDA retry delivering the message at a
> later time.

I think this is a good reason not to remove notmuch-deliver until there
is at least an option to insert to fail in this case. A step in this
direction was made in
id:1374365254-13227-1-git-send-email-novalazy@gmail.com but this is not
a complete solution and is not in mainline anyway.

Best wishes

Mark