* Spacemacs, anyone?
@ 2022-02-04  8:00 inwit
From: inwit @ 2022-02-04  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Is anyone using notmuch within spacemacs? There's a fairly unmantained
"layer" for this, and i'm inclined to give it a spin. It'd be nice if we
could share our experiences.

Yeah, I know, I should start building my own emacs config sometime soon. ;)

* Re: Spacemacs, anyone?
@ 2022-02-04 10:58 ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2022-02-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: inwit, notmuch

"inwit" <inwit@sindominio.net> writes:

> Is anyone using notmuch within spacemacs? There's a fairly unmantained
> "layer" for this, and i'm inclined to give it a spin. It'd be nice if we
> could share our experiences.
>
> Yeah, I know, I should start building my own emacs config sometime soon. ;)

I am doing that. Caveats:

* I use notmuch from the elpa-notmuch package.

* Need to use the develop branch of spacemacs.

  Otherwise it gets upset when it sees the system version of notmuch and
  tries to remove it. Which it can't, so it complains.

  I am a bit confused why the notmuch layer has never reached the main
  branch, but maybe I don't really understand the release process.

IIRC there are some minor things that don't work so well, but I can't
think of what they are right now. Possibly a figment of my imagination.
--
Brian May <brian@linuxpenguins.xyz>
https://linuxpenguins.xyz/brian/

* Re: Spacemacs, anyone?
@ 2022-02-04 12:21   ` inwit
From: inwit @ 2022-02-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian May, notmuch

On Fri Feb 4, 2022 at 11:58 AM CET, Brian May wrote:
> I am doing that.
Oh, nice! Company at last! :)

> Caveats:
>
> * I use notmuch from the elpa-notmuch package.
Yeah, I had to overwrite it yesterday in order to try the last patch by
David Bremner. Not very practical if you want to keep up with
notmuch's development.

> * Need to use the develop branch of spacemacs.
That I do too.

>   I am a bit confused why the notmuch layer has never reached the main
>   branch, but maybe I don't really understand the release process.
+1. Apparently there's an alternative layer [0], but I haven't tried it.

> IIRC there are some minor things that don't work so well, but I can't
> think of what they are right now. Possibly a figment of my imagination.
Have you ever tried to use the auto-completion layer? I'm having trouble
with it [1].

I also have trouble with frames that close when they shouldn't [1].

Would you be interested in contributing to notmuch layer? I see several
minor improvements that could serve others...

Regards,

[0] https://github.com/cmiles74/spacemacs-notmuch-layer
[1] https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/15270
[2] https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/14953

* Re: Spacemacs, anyone?
@ 2022-02-04 21:47     ` Brian May
From: Brian May @ 2022-02-04 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: inwit, notmuch

"inwit" <inwit@sindominio.net> writes:

>> IIRC there are some minor things that don't work so well, but I can't
>> think of what they are right now. Possibly a figment of my imagination.
> Have you ever tried to use the auto-completion layer? I'm having trouble
> with it [1].

Autocompletion on my system is broken due to "my fault". I set it up to
use "goobook-wrapper", and over the years that wrapper has stopped
working.

Need to fix this. I prefer to have some sort of local database rather
then relying on Google. I am liking Google less and less lately. But
haven't worked out how to do this yet. Ideally I would initially copy
this from Google.

I suspect it would work otherwise.

> I also have trouble with frames that close when they shouldn't [1].

Not seen this myself. Although I did have problems like this when I
switched to the main branch of spacemacs. View a list, view an email,
and push 'q' to get back to the list to find I have completely closed
out of notmuch. Switching back to the develop branch fixed this.

> Would you be interested in contributing to notmuch layer? I see several
> minor improvements that could serve others...

Not great with LISP myself.

Just remembered - the one key issue I have always had with spacemacs
(and possibly emacs too) - and is very annoying, is if I click on a link
in an email, and have the link load in Firefox, then there is a
relatively high chance that the pull down menus in Firefox will stop
working. As in I click a menu and nothing happens. I have to completely
restart Firefox to fix.

This has been happening for years now. For numerous versions of Debian
(and I think others) and for numerous versions of Firefox.

It does not happen if I load a link in Firefox from any other program.
It does not happen if I load a link in Firefox using the Firefox CLI. It
does not happen for other browsers such as Chrome. If I reset my profile
in Firefox to default without any plugins it continues to happen.

I have tried to debug how emacs is opening a Firefox tab, and get
totally lost.

I end up having to resort to hacks such as opening in Chrome first, or
copying and pasting the link from notmuch (which often requires several
attempts for reasons I don't understand as instead of one link that I
marked I somehow get the entire document).

I have reported this in various forums, but nobody has been able to
help.