* Passwordless multi-account SMTP
@ 2012-04-03 15:29 Jacek Generowicz
From: Jacek Generowicz @ 2012-04-03 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I'm trying to use notmuch from Emacs. I have a number of SMTP accounts
through which I would need to send mail. Suggested solutions I have
found fall into 3 categories:

+ Gnus posting styles. (I'd rather stay clear of gnus, at present.)

+ Writing plaintext passwords in the MSMTP config files. (I'm rather
  relutctant to leave plaintext passwords lying around.)

+ Emacs' own SMTP library. (I don't understand how to get it to deal
  with many accounts in a non-gnus based way. It also seems to be
  undergoing an interface change in the transition from Emacs 23 to
  24, and it was already confusing enough without that complication.)

To further complicate matters, I'm looking for a solution which queues
any messages which are sent while the machine is offline. (It seems
that MSMTP and Emacs SMTP library do offer some help in those
respects.)

Hints gratefully received.

Thank you.

* Re: Passwordless multi-account SMTP
@ 2012-04-03 15:41 ` Patrick Totzke
From: Patrick Totzke @ 2012-04-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacek Generowicz, notmuch

Hi Jacek,

I am using msmtp for this: I keep my passwords in an encrypted
file and use a shellscript to decrypt and grep for passwords
in combination with msmtp's `passwordeval` option.
Have a look at

https://github.com/pazz/configs/blob/master/.msmtprc
https://github.com/pazz/scripts/blob/master/getpwd

I have a similar setup for offlineimap (configs also on github).
All this works quite nicely together with my ssh-agent (gnome-keyring-daemon)
which unlocks my gnupg keys upon login.
HTH,
/p

Quoting Jacek Generowicz (2012-04-03 16:29:07)

@ 2012-04-03 15:46 ` James Vasile
From: James Vasile @ 2012-04-03 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacek Generowicz, notmuch