* [feature request] emacs: use `notmuch insert` for FCC
@ 2016-08-20  3:12 Steven Allen
From: Steven Allen @ 2016-08-20  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Instead of directly dropping messages into a maildir on FCC, it would be
better to pipe to `notmuch insert --folder=$dir -- $tags`. This way,

1. The message is indexed immediately and shows up in searches without
requiring a call to `notmuch new`.
2. It can be tagged.

(unless I'm missing something)

Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable enough with elisp to implement this myself.

--
Steven Allen
((Do Not Email <honeypot@stebalien.com>))

* Re: [feature request] emacs: use `notmuch insert` for FCC
@ 2016-08-20  5:50 ` Tomi Ollila
From: Tomi Ollila @ 2016-08-20  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Allen, notmuch

On Sat, Aug 20 2016, Steven Allen <steven@stebalien.com> wrote:

> Instead of directly dropping messages into a maildir on FCC, it would be
> better to pipe to `notmuch insert --folder=$dir -- $tags`. This way,
>
> 1. The message is indexed immediately and shows up in searches without
> requiring a call to `notmuch new`.
> 2. It can be tagged.
>
> (unless I'm missing something)
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable enough with elisp to implement this myself.

IIRC SomeOne(™) is already doing that

(™) Mark in patch series
id:1465599772-10297-1-git-send-email-markwalters1009@gmail.com

PS: do we have an alternative to mid.gmane.org for
http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/

> --
> Steven Allen
> ((Do Not Email <honeypot@stebalien.com>))

Tomi

* Re: [feature request] emacs: use `notmuch insert` for FCC
@ 2016-08-20  6:14   ` Steven Allen
From: Steven Allen @ 2016-08-20  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Ollila; +Cc: notmuch

Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:
> IIRC SomeOne(™) is already doing that
>
> (™) Mark in patch series
> id:1465599772-10297-1-git-send-email-markwalters1009@gmail.com

Thanks! Sorry, user error. (I did search through the archives
(pipermail) but completely failed to notice the patch series.)

> PS: do we have an alternative to mid.gmane.org for
> http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/

https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/? However, it's not indexed by
id.

--

@ 2016-08-20  6:29     ` W. Trevor King
From: W. Trevor King @ 2016-08-20  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Allen; +Cc: Tomi Ollila, notmuch

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 02:14:38AM -0400, Steven Allen wrote:
> Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:
> > PS: do we have an alternative to mid.gmane.org for
> > http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/
>
> https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/? However, it's not
> indexed by id.

The Git folks seem to be transitioning to public-inbox / SSOMA
[1,2,3,4].  I floated a mostly-SSOMA conversion of the notmuch
archives a while back [5], and I can take a stab at dusting that off
and putting a public-inbox frontend in front of it, although I'd
rather have someone more central to notmuch handle long-term hosting.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/git/
[2]: https://github.com/git/git-scm.com/pull/827#issuecomment-240737837
[3]: https://public-inbox.org/git/20160728135249.GA25783@sigill.intra.peff.net/
     id:20160728135249.GA25783@sigill.intra.peff.net
[4]: https://public-inbox.org/git/20140507065903.GA32120@dcvr.yhbt.net/
     id:20140507065903.GA32120@dcvr.yhbt.net
[5]: id:20141107190321.GL23609@odin.tremily.us

* Re: [feature request] emacs: use `notmuch insert` for FCC
@ 2016-08-20 16:53       ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2016-08-20 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: W. Trevor King, Steven Allen; +Cc: Tomi Ollila, notmuch, Carl Worth

"W. Trevor King" <wking@tremily.us> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 02:14:38AM -0400, Steven Allen wrote:
>> Tomi Ollila <tomi.ollila@iki.fi> writes:
>> > PS: do we have an alternative to mid.gmane.org for
>> > http://nmbug.tethera.net/status/
>>
>> https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/? However, it's not
>> indexed by id.
>
> The Git folks seem to be transitioning to public-inbox / SSOMA
> [1,2,3,4].  I floated a mostly-SSOMA conversion of the notmuch
> archives a while back [5], and I can take a stab at dusting that off
> and putting a public-inbox frontend in front of it, although I'd
> rather have someone more central to notmuch handle long-term hosting.

If I understand correctly, this would (or could) replace pipermail (of
course it's a bit silly we don't have some notmuch based web archive,
but one problem at a time, I guess).

Carl, do you have any interest in running a public-inbox instance in
place of the pipermail instance on notmuchmail.org?