* Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-05 18:57 Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hi

I started using gnus for my emails, but definitely want to continue
using notmuch for indexing and searching.

Is there a way of using notmuch as the search backend for gnus? Is
there more info around then on
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NotMuch#toc1 ?

Thanks,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-05 20:33 ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 2013-04-05 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M. Krug, notmuch

"Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Hi
>
> I started using gnus for my emails, but definitely want to continue
> using notmuch for indexing and searching.
>
> Is there a way of using notmuch as the search backend for gnus? Is
> there more info around then on
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NotMuch#toc1 ?

nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
remember right all you have to do is:

(setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)

Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.

--
	Istvan

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-06 12:49   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-06 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Istvan Marko; +Cc: notmuch

Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I started using gnus for my emails, but definitely want to continue
>> using notmuch for indexing and searching.
>>
>> Is there a way of using notmuch as the search backend for gnus? Is
>> there more info around then on
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NotMuch#toc1 ?
>
> nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
> remember right all you have to do is:
>
> (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)
>
> Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Interesting - didn't fint that info in the manual, but I'll try it out -
would be reay brilliant if it worked.

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-08 12:46   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Istvan Marko; +Cc: notmuch

Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I started using gnus for my emails, but definitely want to continue
>> using notmuch for indexing and searching.
>>
>> Is there a way of using notmuch as the search backend for gnus? Is
>> there more info around then on
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NotMuch#toc1 ?
>
> nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
> remember right all you have to do is:
>
> (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)
>
> Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Hm - I tried it out, but G G gives an error message:

  Search produced empty results.
  gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced
  empty results.

I have

  (require 'nnir)
  (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)

in my gnus.el file - is there anything else I have to do or am I using
it wrong?

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-08 18:25     ` Istvan Marko
From: Istvan Marko @ 2013-04-08 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M. Krug; +Cc: notmuch

"Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:
>> nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
>> remember right all you have to do is:
>>
>> (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)
>>
>> Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.
> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
>
> Hm - I tried it out, but G G gives an error message:
>
>   Search produced empty results.
>   gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced
>   empty results.

I think it might be sensitive to which group your cursor is on when you
hit G G. And nnir-search-engine might only work as a server method
variable. The top of nnir.el has some docs and examples. The notmuch
search method itself shouldn't need any special configuration (other
than having notmuch itself working).

--
	Istvan

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-10 16:24       ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-10 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Istvan Marko; +Cc: notmuch

Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:
>>> nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
>>> remember right all you have to do is:
>>>
>>> (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)
>>>
>>> Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.
>> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
>>
>> Hm - I tried it out, but G G gives an error message:
>>
>>   Search produced empty results.
>>   gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced
>>   empty results.
>
> I think it might be sensitive to which group your cursor is on when you
> hit G G. And nnir-search-engine might only work as a server method
> variable. The top of nnir.el has some docs and examples. The notmuch
> search method itself shouldn't need any special configuration (other
> than having notmuch itself working).

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
I found a solution to using notmuch with gnus at [1] which explains how
to set it up. In a nutshell: G G is replaced with a call of
notmuch-search and an additional function makes it possible to locate
the mail in the group in gnus after the notmuch search. Works nicely.

Maybe this could be added to the emacstips page?

Cheers,

Rainer

Footnotes:
[1] http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2013-04-10 22:04         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2013-04-10 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M. Krug, Istvan Marko; +Cc: notmuch

"Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> I found a solution to using notmuch with gnus at [1] which explains how
> to set it up. In a nutshell: G G is replaced with a call of
> notmuch-search and an additional function makes it possible to locate
> the mail in the group in gnus after the notmuch search. Works nicely.
>
> Maybe this could be added to the emacstips page?
>
> Cheers,

Yes, feel free to add it; instructions are below

     http://notmuchmail.org/wikiwriteaccess/

In fact this information about gnus is contained in emacswiki.org as
well. It's probably a matter of opinion which place is more appropriate.

* Re: Integrating notmuch with gnus?
@ 2016-01-05 15:44         ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-01-05 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Rainer@krugs.de (Rainer M. Krug) writes:

> Istvan Marko <notmuch@kismala.com> writes:

>>> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
>>>
>>> Hm - I tried it out, but G G gives an error message:
>>>
>>>   Search produced empty results.
>>>   gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced
>>>   empty results.

... using Gnus v5.13 found in dev version Emacs 25.0.50.1 I get this too

>> I think it might be sensitive to which group your cursor is on when you
>> hit G G. And nnir-search-engine might only work as a server method
>> variable. The top of nnir.el has some docs and examples. The notmuch
>> search method itself shouldn't need any special configuration (other
>> than having notmuch itself working).
>>
> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
> I found a solution to using notmuch with gnus at [1] which explains how
> to set it up. In a nutshell: G G is replaced with a call of
> notmuch-search and an additional function makes it possible to locate
> the mail in the group in gnus after the notmuch search. Works nicely.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1] http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

Is this solution independent of gnus nnir search? Does that mean gnus
nnir needs a patch?  Thanks, George