* anyone uses notmuch-web?
@ 2016-12-14 21:40 David Belohrad
From: David Belohrad @ 2016-12-14 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

dear all,

i'm an user of notmuch already for some years (in fact from the beginning).
great product! i want to replace my roundcube installation on web server by
notmuch-web, which - at least in testing on local computer - looks great and
does exactly the job.

my concerns are in the domain of the internet security. apparently the haskell
stuff (sorry, not a haskell guy) cannot go over https, but only http, and for
this one has to do some proxying between http and https.... done on http server
level.

is anyone using such modus operandi? could you share your thoughts about using
notmuch-web?

looking on bitbucket the last updates are from 2014. is the development dead?

many thanks

david

* Re: anyone uses notmuch-web?
@ 2016-12-14 22:29 ` Mark Walters
From: Mark Walters @ 2016-12-14 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Belohrad, notmuch

> i'm an user of notmuch already for some years (in fact from the beginning).
> great product! i want to replace my roundcube installation on web server by
> notmuch-web, which - at least in testing on local computer - looks great and
> does exactly the job.
>
> my concerns are in the domain of the internet security. apparently the haskell
> stuff (sorry, not a haskell guy) cannot go over https, but only http, and for
> this one has to do some proxying between http and https.... done on http server
> level.

I can't say much about notmuch-web but as a shameless plug rlb and I are
working on noservice https://gitlab.com/noservice/noservice

This is intended as pure https (ideally you use a firewall to block its
http port), and by default uses client certificate verification so is
probably reasonably secure. Note neither rlb nor I are security experts.

A rough guide is that noservice is intended to look and feel like the
emacs frontend. I use it every day and it meets most of my requirements.

> is anyone using such modus operandi? could you share your thoughts about using
> notmuch-web?

If you do decide to use notmuch-web then possibly try nginx as the https
frontend, and you can configure that to require client certificates.

Best wishes

Mark