* tagging threads
@ 2023-09-11 16:42 Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2023-09-11 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch; +Cc: Jon Fineman

I have followed this guide to tag a message/thread for deletion that a
shell script will then delete.
<https://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index4h2>

However an unwanted byproduct of tagging the thread is if I have
tagged (moved) an individual message to another folder, the thread
tagging will go through all messages and tag those too for deletion.

Any thoughts on how I might prevent an individual message from being
tagged by a tag thread action?

Thanks.

Jon

* Re: tagging threads
@ 2023-09-15 23:29 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-09-15 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Fineman, notmuch; +Cc: Jon Fineman

Jon Fineman <jon@fineman.me> writes:

> I have followed this guide to tag a message/thread for deletion that a
> shell script will then delete.
> <https://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index4h2>

Just for the record, "k d" will add the "deleted" tag by default in
search, tree and show mode

> However an unwanted byproduct of tagging the thread is if I have
> tagged (moved) an individual message to another folder, the thread
> tagging will go through all messages and tag those too for deletion.

I don't understand this part. What is the relationship between a thread
and a folder for you?

> Any thoughts on how I might prevent an individual message from being
> tagged by a tag thread action?

You can make some other query that doesn't match the whole thread, then
use * to tag all the messages match that query (perhaps using unthreaded
view).

I don't know a nice UI to do that with a few keystrokes.  I suppose I'd
probably give the message in question a tag:tmp and the search for
tag:tmp and tag:deleted in order to "undelete" it. All of that with the
disclaimer that I don't really understand the problem description.