* emacs/notmuch hangs opening email
@ 2023-02-20  0:21 Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2023-02-20  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

When I try and open one specific email, I get a message of
"Fontifying..." and then the mouse pointer turns into a watch.

If I C-G it breaks out and shows the email message with a red warning
at the top of "[some mark read tag changes may have failed]", but
since reading the message was interrupted some/many key mappings
aren't set, etc.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what is causing the issue?

It is a rather short multipart/alternative with a text and html
section.

Thanks.

Jon

* Re: emacs/notmuch hangs opening email
@ 2023-02-20 12:52 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2023-02-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Fineman, notmuch

Jon Fineman <jon@fineman.me> writes:

> When I try and open one specific email, I get a message of
> "Fontifying..." and then the mouse pointer turns into a watch.
>
> If I C-G it breaks out and shows the email message with a red warning
> at the top of "[some mark read tag changes may have failed]", but
> since reading the message was interrupted some/many key mappings
> aren't set, etc.

Is the message by chance SMIME signed? That can be fixed on the gpgsm
level. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to M-x edebug-defun
on notmuch-show--build-buffer, and step through it to see where it gets
stuck.

* Re: emacs/notmuch hangs opening email
@ 2023-02-22 22:43   ` Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2023-02-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Jon Fineman <jon@fineman.me> writes:
>
>> When I try and open one specific email, I get a message of
>> "Fontifying..." and then the mouse pointer turns into a watch.
>>
>> If I C-G it breaks out and shows the email message with a red warning
>> at the top of "[some mark read tag changes may have failed]", but
>> since reading the message was interrupted some/many key mappings
>> aren't set, etc.
>>

> Is the message by chance SMIME signed? That can be fixed on the gpgsm
> level. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to M-x edebug-defun
> on notmuch-show--build-buffer, and step through it to see where it gets
> stuck.

Thanks. Well this email didn't help (but I did learn a bit about
edebug), but your reply to another email about emacs crashing with
incoming email did. It prompted me to bisect my init.el and I
discovered that the following line was causing the issue, even though
I wasn't using w3m to view the message.
(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

If I change the above to use gnus-w3m it works.

Not sure I have the ability to figure out what is going on beyond
that though.